Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Percocet usage issues

I have some fundamental questions concerning the line between "necessary drug use" and garden variety abuse/addiction, if there is such a thing. I mean in no way to distract from the seriousness of either. I mean, strictly speaking, is a Diabetic "addicted to Insulin? I have suffered excruciating stomach pain for 3+ years and am able to function successfully at 10 - 14 Percocet per day. I work, am productive, and am generally liked and respected by my co-workers. I get upset about the rate of my usage every month and quit taking them. Withih a day I can hardly walk or sit at my desk, and am virtually worthless to my self and my co-workers, who depend on me to do my part to help make the whole thing work.
I have followed all of my good Doctors orders, went for every imaginable test (even a workup at the Cleaveland Clinic) and they find no reason for the pain.
I'll tell you straight up right now, If you insinuate it's in my head, I'll never type another word. Nothing in the world upsets me more than hearing that from someone who does NOT feel like he has a knife in his gut.
As may be obvious, I have alot to share and will happily do so if anyone's interested.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
That is a question that you have to answer for yourself.  Do you like the "high"?  Do you even get high at all from the pills?  
Since you are taking them for legitimate pain and have a need from them, it is possible not to be an addict.  What is not possible is to not become physically dependent on the pain pills.  Even when people take meds as prescribed, they can still become physically dependent.  I will say there is a fine line between physical dependency and actual addiction, but there is a difference.
Do you crave the pills when you don't have them?  Do you obsess about them?  Eventually addicts ruin their lives and it sounds like you are on top of your game, just taking the meds you need for real pain.
Helpful - 0
199177 tn?1490498534
I agree there is a fine line between addiction and being dependent. I deal with pain ALL of the time or close to it ...sometimes its really bad some time its not as bad . I never took more then my daily dose . However I loved the way the pills made me feel so I days when the pain was not so bad I still  took them .I would tell myself it was to prevent the pain. So am I an addict or dependent I really dont know and guess it really does not matter they took over my life and thast not ok with me . So I quit taking them I am learning to deal with the pain and will continue to do so as long as I can . but that just me
Avis
Helpful - 0
Solid thinking, and I appreciate it. I had big problems with drugs in the 70's and my thinking may be warped. My point is, I'd love to live without the drugs, it's just that I can't function. I did liquid acid (LSD) and factory Quaaludes in the old days and I know exactly what a good rush is, and this ain't it brother. Being able to go to work and function, relatively free of pain, that's my rush these days.
My doctor (my friend over the years) has assured me if the pain was (organic(?), I'd be dead. On the other hand, he thinks it's nerve pain and may never go away. I just cant get my arms around eating Percocets everyday for the rest of my life and I just needed a place to vent.
What I crave when I don't have them is the ability to drive my car down the road to work without my right arm shoved behind my back so as to contort my posture enough to allow me to concentrate on drivivg.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.