Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

MEETINGS FOR SOCIAL PHOB SUFFERING WITH AGORAPHOBIA-????

Hello all, I hope you all are doing well today. I have been wanting to post this for sometime. Those of you who know me, know I suffer with bad anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia. Amongst other things :(

How does one get over this to get to a NA meeting. I mean I have a very difficult time leaving my home, at times I am just fine but many others I am not. And mostly when it is a "scheduled" event. I am treated with medication but I always have that lingering fear.

I guess I am unsure how to be able to "force" myself to go to a meeting although I know it would be a great idea to statr going to them.

Anyone else have this problem at all?

Thank you to anyone who responds.

Huggs
Tracy
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you all for your suggestions, and understanding. Yes the panic attacks or even the thought of one can be the worst feeling.

I really wish they had online meetings too, but then again if they do I wonder how successful they are. Meaning your not actually being there, but I guess that depends on the motivation of the user.

:)

Thank you again all for the kind words and help!
Helpful - 0
I don't know if you are male or female but some people feel more comfortable going to a "same sex" meeting.  Your local meeting scheduled is coded and tells which type of meeting it is.  It will have a W for women only or a "M" for men only (maybe it is CW for closed womens).  
Helpful - 0
Hey there,

I personally do not have these issues, but I really feel for you. I had a friend who was in the same boat as you are--wanting to go to meetings, but fearing an attack (which, from what I understand, is as debilitating as having an attack). She eventually found it was the smaller meetings she couldn't hang with. So now she only goes to big speaker meetings, where she can blend in with a large crowd and not fear being chosen to share. Unfortunately that limits her significantly, but it works. Thought I'd just throw that out there. Maybe for you, more people would be worse, I don't know. Also, on-line meetings sound like a great option.

I also want to say I was once with her at a meeting when she had a full-blown attack. I sat next to her, and felt her distressed energy and body-language long before it was full-blown, but had no idea what was going on. When it finally hit, I was BLOWN AWAY at just how horrifically debilitating it was. It almost brings me to tears to recall it. I feel for you.

Best of Luck to You!

--Athena
Helpful - 0
I don't know if I can help but can def. empathize with your situation.  It is awesome that you are so eager to work at it despite the issues you have working against you.  I wonder if they have any type of meeting online?  If not, it sure would be a good idea, I know many ppl who could benefit from that type of setting.  
Good luck to you and let me know when you find the solution that works for you.  I know you will!!  believe it ---  achieve it!!!  take care

love, M
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.