Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

to mom

Is your mom still taking the fioricet? I have a mix of fior with codeine, so I have a combo of both. Your mom also? How is she a burden to you? Sorry for all the questions, I am just curious as my son is 12 and he has no clue I am on any type of pain meds. When I try to go C/T, I cannot function. I need to go to work and take care of everything. Single mom thing going on here. I am angry that I am in this position and once I get off this stuff, never going back.

Thanks for replying.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi again,
Don't get me wrong.  I love my mom.  She lives with me now.  It is a long story, but my dad was killed in a car wreck when I was 8.  She started drinking then.  Once she was in AA and recovering from the Alcohol, she got into pills.  Fioricet with codeine is her drug of choice.  She has been to detox many times.  Now at 73 (an old 73) she actually needs them.  So we dont' fight it anymore.  Doc gives her 2 a day in 30 day scripts.  I montitor them.  Her addictions along with her grief have left her living on 700 a month, which is why she now lives with me.  She spent all of her savings going from doc to doc to get pills.  Finally we had to move her in to manage her.  My sister won't help because her husband won't let her.  God has given me a heart to help her.  I am supposed to do it and I try to do it with a happy heart.  The pills and have ruined her retirement.  She sometimes takes too many and runs out.  (she sneaks them from me) Addicts are the sneakest people alive...I should know. :o) she has w/ds and I take her to ER and tell them she is dehydrated and sick.  It is a horrible circle.  I also have a 3.5 yr old.  He is her joy.  
Think down the road next time you want to take a pill.  I always think about it.  I am glad I have no pills.  Dont' want any more.  They hurt more than just the person taking them.  I am here for you.  Please ask as many questions as you need to.  Do you have an antidepressant? Doc would probably do that and it will make life easier.  That and praying.
WEll that is the story.  I guess it is a burden, but it is just what it is.  When I was 12 my mom was an active addict.  The mood swings, the depression, the elation for no reason. I hated it.  Lots of times she embarrassed me.
I can tell you are a good mom.  Stay strong.  
Helpful - 0
I was a single mom for a while.  I have two grown kids too. I know the stresses of that situation.  I admire you.  It is a hard thing to do -pills or no pills.  I will tell you c/t was awful for 5 days.  Then it got better.  If you are a praying woman, read your bible.  It is amazing what God will show you just when you need it.  He is the great consoler.  One day you will look back and you will have been clean for 2 weeks. wooo hooo!  When mom detoxes she is pretty good for day 45&6 and then kind of feels lousy again for a few days.  Take imodium ad for stomach problems.  It also helps somehow with your mental state.  Not sure how, but I read it here so I took it.  Stay in touch.
M
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.