Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Why We're Craving Sugar

There's been a lot of discussion lately about sugar cravings and the recovering addict, so I did a little bit of research. In a nutshell, here's what I discovered:

When we overindulge in sugar, we create a spike in our glucous, which in turn causes secretions of serotonin in the brain. This secretion results in "feeling good" for a brief period of time.

My interpretation of this and how it relates to some of us is that by overindulging in sugar, we're trying to self-medicate.

Makes sense to me! (pass me the M & M's, please....)

Hope someone besides me finds this of interest!

--Athena
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
352798 tn?1399298154
This is a old post. Let us get to know you here. Start a new post. (Post a Question)Tell us about yourself and why you're here.
Helpful - 0
thanks a million.... that was really helpful!!
trying to do a bit of research on that topic myself....science essay!!!!

Helpful - 0
177003 tn?1266270355
I do want sugar more now than usual, but I have been a slave to chocolate for years. When my kids were little I used to buy things for their Easter baskets and then end of eating the chocolate bunny from each basket. Had to replace them several times. If I ever start to gain weight, I think I would do away all food so I could still have the yummy chocolate. (just realized I typed the word chocolate in every sentence. lol)

Hugs....LS
Helpful - 0
for sure.  I call candy baby cocaine  it makes my 5 year old act crazzzzy.  It wakes me up mmmchocolate dark now we are talking.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.