Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Longtime lurker

Hi, I have lurked around this board since Thanksgiving of last year, when I first realized that I had become addicted to Vicoprofin.  I realized right away, because I needed it to feel normal, and knew I had to stop.  My Mom was addicted to prescription drugs for a LONG time, and my Dad has been an alcholic for the past 14+ years, so I can definitely say (with confidence) that I have an addictive personality, which is something I have to battle with everyday.  

It's a day to day struggle, and this forum helps me cope with it all, and comforts me in an odd way (aside from all the drama...), and I just wanted to say hi and thank you!
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Welcome!

Glad you introduced yourself and shared your truth about the Vocoprofin. You're a brave person and I congratulate you on taking the first steps toward ending your addiciton.

Let us know how we can help. Best of all, this forum has made me realize I'm not alone. Pain pill addiction resulted in me becoming very, very isolated and in my own world--a world that was neither healthy nor real.

If you want to have energy again, reconnect with family and old friends, become that reliable, fun and happy person you used to be who had goals, a lot of hope, and thought about other things besides your next pill,  stick with us on this path.

Warmest Regards,

--AThena

PS. I was adopted but I can only IMAGINE the drunks and dope addicts I descended from....LOL!
Helpful - 0
Athena really said it all, just wanted to say Hi!  Your on the right track and this is a great place for questions and to vent.  Good luck with your fight!!  Your obviously a strong person to have started the process.  We are all here to help you with anything we can along the way - so please stick around.  

Look forward to talking with you soon.

Sincerest wishes, M
Helpful - 0
Welcome to the board! I read more posts than I write, but as I have yet to quit c/t I don't have too much knowledge of withdrawals etc., I don't feel I can answer all that many questions. But I have learned a lot and received a lot of support. I am trying to taper and will stop, when I am down to half the amount of pills I was taking. Are you still taking pain medication?

No matter what your circumstances are, you have come to the right place if you are in need of advice and support.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your warm wishes, they do mean the world to me.  

It's been 8 days since I have taken any pain medication.  It's been a sort of fight.  I have pain (jaw) that got me into the world of Vicodin/Vicoprofin.  I have taken the steps to try to correct the problem.  It's been an on/off thing.  As of late (January), I haven't taken pain medication for recreational use.  But I still love the feeling that I get from them, which is the most dangerious thing in the world.  I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled on May 4th, so I know I'm going to be getting pain medication for that, but I feel that after that the first time I went cold turkey (oh what fun), that I realized some issues of why I was taking pain meds just to take them.  I hope I will have the strength to only take the meds when I will need them, and not one more.  

Thank you all again.
Helpful - 0
just a thought - maybe when you have your teeth pulled, you could give your pills to someone to dole out to you as needed.  I have had to use that system before and it worked - though I got irritated, they did the right thing.  It helps if it someone your close to so that if your prone, you will not hurt their feelings for not giving you what you want.  Anyway - that's me - but I thought I would share in case it helps.  

Good luck and take care!
M
Helpful - 0
That is probably what I am going to be doing.  The person is going to be my future mother-in-law.  We have had so many talks about my situation, and she has let it be known that she is there for me no matter what, and will help me in any way she can (including dole-ing out my meds).  I feel I've been doing pretty good thus far.  Thanks for your suggestion, it's definitely one I'm going to take to heart!
Helpful - 0
I'm glad you posted on the forum!  Tooth/mouth pain is not a fun thing to go through so you will probably need the pain meds.....I agree....give it to you mother-in-law because as addicts we know that "one is too many and 1000 not enough"!  I wish you the best and good luck with the teeth!
Peace,
Marcie
Helpful - 0
Thank you lady!  I welcome all good thoughts and prayers.  It's such a tough fight that really does seem to get better everyday.  My best days are the ones where thinking about the high from a pill makes me feel yucky.  A lot of times it's just better to be clear-headed.  It's the bad days that make you want to throw it all away. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
Helpful - 0
I'm so happy you have taken this step and are doing something about it.  Welcome to the forum and there are alot of very supportive and helpful people here.  I am glad I came here a few weeks ago.  I've been addicted to pain killers for about 3 years straight, started with arthritis in lower back and knees.  Unfortunately that's how it starts off with but turns into something really ugly in the end.  I want you to know that I'm here for you and there is alot of helpful advice from alot of people here.  No one judges you, well unless you listen to the drama but try to sift through those posts.  I'm glad you made the step and are trying to get off of these things.  Take care and god bless, Lil.  :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.