Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

ms contine

I have been taking oxycontin for about 4 years due to a broken back( its mostly my legs that bother me) I am presently taking 60 mg 3x a day with about 2-4 ex strength vicodin I have found that if I crush 1 of those oxy's a day they work much better an fast,the last year I have been having a lot of trouble urinating(long time to start a stream, and somtimes hurts) Has anyone else had this problem? Also I am being switched to ms contin instead of oxy, 60 mg of ms contin twice a day, is there a way for the slow release of the morphine to be overiden on a bad day, such as crushing, like I have done with OC? and I know the pharm. says don't crush but is it really harmful if I am used to the oppiates? thanks for any advise you might have, just stumbled across this forum & you people sound real.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you 2 for responding your advise I believe is right on the money,I know it has been 5 years and I should be used to it (pain) but there are times I guess that I get so desperate to have the life I once had (fishing,Hiking,jogging,ect.)that a chance of overdosing is very min. in my weak mind.
Helpful - 0
176803 tn?1198539598
Ask your doc. to try dilaudid. I just started 3 days ago and cried. It was the first time my pain went down to a 1 in 8 months. After being 8-10 24/7 for a few weeks with no help or releif...(Percocet didn't even help, and when it did lasted only about 2-3 hours top, and that was taking it down to maybe a 6-7). I was mentally and physically drained.
Helpful - 0
If you are taking a med that is specifically time-released, and you try to crush it or otherwise "override" (as you put it) the slow-release factor, you are at risk of overdose, as too much will enter the blood stream at once.  I strongly advise against it.  Instead, maybe ask your doc for another med to "band-aid" the pain on bad days.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.