Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hydrocodeine withdrawal

I have been taking between 2 and 3 Hydrocodeine 7.5 pills per day for over two years (result of injuries from horseback riding incidents).  I want to stop taking these NOW and get my life back. Having read quite abit on this forum I realize that my drug levels are not as high as many people's but none the less I consider myself addicted because I take them for the wrong reasons (feel good, ENERGIZED).  Weaning off is not for me, I'm a "give me a little and I have no self control" on this one. As long as they are in the house I will figure out a way to justify taking them (there are none in the house now).  Please tell me what I can expect for withdrawal, (I'm into day 2) and how I can get my energy back, that is the hardest for me. I feel like a limp rag, just want to sleep. A Detox center is not for me where I am located THANK you for your help and this forum which is literally a lifesaver. God Bless!
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
203003 tn?1210855907
You are on day 2? The worst of your withdrawal symptoms should be over. Have you had any symptoms?? You should expect to have aches and pains and depression goes along with it. I heard the worst of the withdrawal symptoms are the first 24-72 hours after taking the last pill, and when I detoxed the first time. It was true. Stick with it!! I think the worst of it is over, but there is also more to come. Every day gets better!!
Helpful - 0
Welcome!
Congrats for making the decision to quit. If you check the post below to "Smiles are Fake" I listed my symptoms. There are many approaches to quiting and tapering wasn't for me. If I have them, I will eat every last one. If a bird flys over my house, I take a pill. :0) It is really tough for the first 3-5 days. I find the cravings the worst. I was taking 10-14 norcos a day for 1 1/2 give or take.  I only got the warm and fuzzy feeling for about 20 minutes. Is it worth it? No, No, NO. I wish you well and read back on posts on this forum.

Always,
Mariyah
Helpful - 0
Sounds like you are on your way....it does get better and I really do believe you are getting through the worst. The energy does take a while to get back but are you taking any vitamin supplements? Vitamin B-12...I drink Emergen-C which is a powdered energy drink and I swear by it...it is only Vitamins and Minerals and it tastes pretty good too!  Just stay away from those little suckers....they get us everytime!  Stay strong and keep posting....Oops...sorry...bad manners...Welcome to the forum!
Marcie
Helpful - 0
Thanks to all of you!  In answer to "have you had any symptoms?", Yes, headache, body ache especially lower back and legs, and exhaustion/no energy.  This last is a double hit because I don't even have normal (pre-drug) energy AND I am used to having LOTS of energy due to my little white magic pills.  I am assuming from what I have read that this is because I am not producing endorphines (since the codeine was taking care of that for me).  So how do I explain to my abused system that I am sorry for all the inconvience but  I want you to produce endophines again...NOW!!!!  Reading some of the other posts I feel like a real whiner here...but if I don't get this under control now, I'll be posting again...at a lot more than 2 - 4 pills a day.  Honesty compels me to say that the ONLY reason I don't take more is that I simply could not get them...pharmacies were too "tight".  Don't know how you guys manage to get that many pills (don't tell me...for obvious reasons lol darkly) and I would be dead meat if I lived in Canada.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.