Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

DuchessGolden

I am goin to a methadone clinic and right now I am takin 50 mg. Next week I want to start goin down 5 mg aweek so I can get off of the methadone and pillls. Why would that be to much? I dont want to be goin to this clinic for 3 yrs.? Please advice
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
202347 tn?1189755825
Well you don't have to come down over the course of 2 or 3 years if you are only taking 50mg. 2-3 year plans are for people who are taking 100-180mg. Sometimes even more. The maimun here is 180mg but other states the maximum is 300mg. those amounts take longer to come down from b/c there is more opiate tolerance. You can do 5mg. per week but you will probably eperience withdrawals. Withdrawals do not just occur when you don't have the drug at all, they also occur when you lessen the amount of the drug too much too fast. Your brain isn't producing endorphins like it is supposed to b/c you are taking an opiate which causes your endorphin production.SO your body stops producing it on its own and the nerve cells degenerate. You have to wean off slowly because when you do it faster you are not giving your brain the time it needs to start producing endorphins on its own again. 5mg. a week is a lot. 5mg. every 3 weeks or every month is a very good amount. You don't have to take 45mg. for a month, you can go down to 48 or 49 mg. for a week, then 46 or 47 mg for a week then to 45mg for a week. I believe you mentioned you take the pills so you can use scissors or a pill cutter to half and fourth your pills if necessary. You can take 45mg for a week then 40mg the net week etc. but this will probably cause some withdrawal symptoms, the slower you wean, you might not eperience withdrawal or notice the symptoms you do have. At the end when you stop taking it all together you definitely want to try to do that a couple mg at a time to limit the withdrawal when you are off of it completely. I really hope some of this helps xoxo -D.
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
the good thing is that you are getting professional help.  If you can reduce faster, I think your bod will let you know.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.