Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pregnancy and Vicodin

So I've been searching all over the internet for answers but this place seems like the only place that can help me. I've been taking vicodin for a little over a year now, on average about 4 pills a day(7.5) I have just found out that I am pregnant. I'm wondering if vicodin causes birth defects, or any complications? I also have been drinking and I took shrooms about two weeks before I found out I was pregnant. Should I abort this baby? Is she going to be okay? PLEASE HELP ME.....scared and not knowing what I should do!!!!!!
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
the vicodin and alcohol shouldnt cause birth defects as long as you stop doing it, particularly the booze as it can cause fetal alcohol syndrome which can be devastating and even fatal depending on the severity. With the pills, from everything I have read, they in themselves dont cause birth defects but prolonged use will cause the baby to be born addicted and go through withdrawl and have other health issues... as for the mushrooms, i have no idea about that. Those would concern me the most out of everything you listed.

now as for the abortion question, I shouldnt touch this with a 10 foot pole because that is a huge issue as you know and you will get many opinions on this, good and bad, I suspect.  Personally I would never abort, but Ive never been in a position of being pregnant and facing the possiblity of severe defects or the like. So I cannot really judge. If you are seriously considering abortion because of the mushrooms, DO YOUR RESEARCH first of all, to see what type of damage it may cause. How far along are you? you said you did the srhooms 2 weeks before you found out your are pregnant. BUt are you newly pregnant, or farther along and just found out late. This would hold a large bearing on things I would think. ANyhow, do your research, and think long and hard before making any decision as it is one you will have to live with the rest of your life. Good luck and keep us posted.
Helpful - 0
192332 tn?1189755828
Stop everything right now and have that baby.Just my thoughts.Talk to your doctor and ask him or her.God Bless.
Helpful - 0
Vicodin (only taken as needed and as prescribed!) is safe during pregnancy.  I was prescribed vicodin 5/500 while pregnant and I only took about 4 a day.  The hydrocodone is safe, what is potential harmful is the tylenol.  I am pretty sure that the limit is 4000 mgs per day for adults.  The tylenol can cause serious liver problems.
With that said, I would recommend not taking anything you don't absolutely have to take while pregnant.  If you are not presribed these by your OBGYN, then they need to be told that you are taking the vics.
I had level 8-9 back and pelvic pain while pregnant.  I was in more pain during my pregnancy than during the delivery by far!
My son is 25 months old.  He was an exceptionally happy and healthy baby.  Do not take more than you have to because it is possible for the baby to become addicted in utero to the hydrocodone.  BUT if you must take it and your OBGYN authorizes it, I wouldn't worry.
Helpful - 0
I was addicted to vicodin before I got pregnant and I also went out drinking 3 days before we found out about the pregnancy. Of course I felt terrible but it did not affect the baby. As long as you stop the drink and street drugs, you'll be fine. I also continued taking the vicodin you just have to watch the tylenol because it thins your blood. Iw ouldn't recommed taking alot of the pills. I took them once in awhile for migraines maybe 10-15 mg a day if that.
Helpful - 0
142722 tn?1281533616
Flower, stop drinking and I'm not so sure about the vicodin.  I take a class C medication and vicodin is also class C I think.  I take 200mcg of my med for bi-polor disorder and I haven't stopped since I found out I'm pregnant and I'm 31w and the baby is fine.  Don't beat yourself up, I think your baby is fine.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.