Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Don't know what to do!

I have a bunch of back problems and take 300mg of MS contin daily,my wife has a minor back problem and gets percocet 10mg(120per month)and gobbles them up before the month is up and then asks for some of mine,this has been going on for 6 months now.I keep telling her to manage her meds better because I can't keep giving her mine,but every month it's the same thing.Iv'e tried to stick by my guns and not give her any,but then All she does is lay in bed all day,and we have 3 kids 9,5,and 2,and I need the help or I feel bad and end up giving in.Today is the perfect example,I've been up since 4am,did the laundry got the kids up and off to school and now I'm taking care of the little one,while she lies in bed moaning because I won't give her any of my meds.And I know before the day is out I'll have to give in because I'll be exhausted and need the help.I don't know what else to do.Thanks for any and all who take the time to read and respond.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i am so sorry to hear that..Although i can totally relate to you and her..I understand not being able to get out of bed, been there..And then my husband has to do everything..Makes me feel horrible. I think that it will just get worst and she will want more and more of your meds..Sounds like you have your meds under control..i think it may have to be tough love...and you have to think of yourself and your pain..That is just my opinion but that is a tough one. Good luck and there are some wonderfull people here with alot of experience
god bless
Helpful - 0
Percs and oxys have a tendancy of making you feel worse than you are...because your body is used to taking them...............and yourbody isnt doing the work it did before................taking pain meds

I dont know what else to tell you other than, your wife is in pain....yet some of that is wds ...because of long term or even short term perc popper.....

All you can do is not give in.....I am not sure what lese you can do for her...really nothing......take her pills away and have her manage on so much a day....I dont know......but all that tiredness and stuff is from getting cut off from pain meds and thent he pain why you started taking the pain meds for.....so its a double edged sword...

as for advice about your wife, I have no idea...what you should do..I think I have said that arleady but I really dont.............its got to be a personal choice to quit....or cut back...and if your wife isnt admitting or doign something aobut it..no one here can make her do it, not even you...

I understand having alot on your plate...........all you can do is what you need to do for youself and your kids.........

So I hope this helps....to some degree..
Helpful - 0
That's a really tough situation, I'm sorry.  

Do you believe your wife's struggle is  from pain, or is it withdrawal?  If it's pain, then she needs professional help to get it under control.  I suffer (like so many here) from tremendous chronic back pain, but, I chose to self-medicate, which always seems to escalate over the years into a nightmare, which I'm (hopefully) at the end of.  If your wife is struggling with withdrawal, more medication isn't going to help, not long term. It will only make things horribly worse.  
You might try compassionately (she is your wife) telling her that you will help her, as best you can, to make it to her next refill.  You will share, very sparingly (it is your pain and meds) so that she can make it, IF she promises to go back to her doctor (you go with her) explain her struggles and find an appropriate solution.  If she agrees, YOU call and make the appointment, and tell them why you're coming. "My wife isn't making it all month, we're concerned about longterm addiction...."

You've got to do this before it gets worse, - cause it will.

If this post sounds harsh I'm truly sorry.  This addiction stuff is serious business.  I wish to hell....  

Everbody here can finish that sentence, of this I'm sure.

Good luck to you, and God bless.

Kidd

p.s.  say a little prayer for me, I'm havin kind of a tough morning - all sweaty and stuff.
Helpful - 0
Yes,it is wd she takes the percs way too fast,she's asked her DR.who is also my DR.if she could take an extra one here and there and he flat out said NO!He also wants her to go to P.T. but she keeps blowing that off.I have been through the I'll give you enough to get you through the month routine,and every month she runs out,even when I tell her I'm cutting her off.I get 150 per month but don't take 5 a day all the time so she knows I have extra,It's not that I don't have enough,but when I give her some and say that's all I can give you,she STILL takes too many and then asks me for more,It's like talking too a wall.Even when I tell her I have just enough for myself she'll ask for more.And even after all that I'll feel bad and say I'll take a few less and give you 1 a day until your next appt. it will be weel that's great but could you spare 2!I have too to stop before My fingers punch through the keyboard I'm soooo irritated!
Helpful - 0
I guess all you can do is, not give her any...and put up withher suffering...or leave.....I mean I cant really answer it for you, considering thats your wife, your life...and your choices....
She could be in full addiction with them.....there isnt much you can do like point her in the right direction if she doesnt even want to hear you already....

It must be so frustrating but all you can do is take care of you..and the kids.......

Im really sorry for the stuff you are facing.....hang in there...and pray..

C
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.