Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

what is 5htp?

as some of ya'll know i will be trying to quit after this surgery comeing up,i have some Requip for the RLS, and some L-ty and immodium,also how many of the L-ty can you take a day?
thanks to all the woderfull people here..Anyone know how chrosty is doing? so worried about her/him? wish there was something i can do to help
thanks
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
202347 tn?1189755825
5htp (5 hydroxytryptophan) It's an amoni acid that your body turns into serotonin.

L-ty( 4-hydroxyphenylalanine) Another amoino acid, but this one helps in the synthesis od dopamine. Useful to treat similar things as 5htp, but is also used to treat PKU and parkinsons disease. You can usually take 500-1000mg per day. You should have either 300 or 500mg capsules or 300, 500, or 1000mg tablets. You can break these down, the dosage should be taken in 3 doses per day.

xoxo- D.

Helpful - 0
5htp is the amino acid that is tryptophan.  It's naturally found in turkey, for one.  They use it for everything, from an anti-depressant, to sleep aid, to weight loss.  I was looking into taking it, but it says if you are taking any other SSRI's (I'm on Lexapro) that you should not, because you could get Serotonin Syndrome.

But it was something that I was very interested in, and reading some users stories, it has helped them a lot with many different "ailments".
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.