Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hey guys, I got a ? and I know you will all know the answer...:)

Hey, tramadol and ultram are the same thing, right? cuz my doc called some in for me the other day, right, and I took one and a few minutes later, my heart started racing/skipping beats and I got all sweaty. I thought maybe you have to take the pills for awhile, then the heart thing would decrease. But the next time I took one, same thing happened. So I called the doctor and she wasn't on call but the doc who was on call told me to stop taking them immediately, I was having an allergic reaction.
So I see my doc on Thursday and I guess I will go from there.
I'm actually in alot of pain, but I dont want to get all hooked on the painkillers again..the reason I got the trams was cuz I told my doc I didn't want any narcotics. UGH.
I did know that ultram was a dangerous drug, and it causes seizures alot...and I am thinking tramadol IS ultram, but my 2nd question is WHY do docs precribe a medicine that has a high rate of seizures? That makes no sense to me. Oh well.

jenny
14 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
202347 tn?1189755825
Oh that's awful! Especially since Ultram tends to be pretty good with pain and not as addictive in most people as the other opiates.My best guess would be the increase in norepinephrine that caused your hearts to race like that. Have you tried something like darvocet for the pain? I get that feeling from just about every allergy medication I've ever taken. I've been on prescription sinus and allergy meds since I was a baby and I can't function on any of them, many of the non-drowsy meds made me fall asleep in class and the others made me so anxious i couldnt function which is why my doctor prescribes me tussionex with refills, it is the only thing that has ever kept my allergies and sinuses in check. None of the pharmacists have ever seen refills on tussionex, a lot of them called my doctor to confirm.

xoxo- D.
Helpful - 0
202347 tn?1189755825
I know its almost silly the way drugs are legally and pharmacologically classified from state to state. For instance in New Jersey and most surrounding states Tylenol w/codeine is classified as an opiate obviously but not classified as a narcotic. In California Propoxephene (Darvocet) is not classified as a narcotic and is sometimes used to help opiate withdrawal. Tramadol is also not classified as a narcotic in California. Its potency is about the least of all other opiate pain medications. I think I mentioned in another post today that morphine and cedeine are the only two opiates that are pure agonists to your opiate receptors but hydrocodone is much more potent. Tramadol is a partial agonist to opiate, serotonin, and norepinephrine receptors.

Someone mentioned in this Thread that their heart rate was abnormal after taking tramadol, this is concerning b/c Tramadol has not been found to have any effects on heart rate. Were you taking other medications at the time? ANY other medications?

xoxo- D.
Helpful - 0
Yeah...that heart-racing thing really scared me. Then, my heart started skipping beats, or fluttering in my chest. I broke out into a sweat, and brandon said that my face was all flushed. He wanted me to call the doctor immediately but at first, I was like, "its probably normal, til my body gets used to it' but brandon(hubby) insisted I call, or HE would call. lol.
Then, like I said, that doctor on call for my doc told me to stop taking them immediately cuz it sounded like an allergic reaction.
They did help the pain, though. They also made me so HAPPY....I mean, I wasn't 'high' like the vikes did to me..it was a diff. feeling....I was happy, had energy, and I had a slight buzz..kinda warm and fuzzy feeling..but not as much as vicodin gives. This happy feeling I had also lasted WAY longer than the euphoria I got from vicodin.
Is that normal, singha? Tramadol makes you feel all happy and euphoric? Or was that just me having a good day? lol
Either way, I can't take any more of them, cuz they do something to my heart and its scary.

jenny
Helpful - 0
Exactly that. They give you the burst of energy without the high and that is why I love them. I don't get high or drunk...I just like the energy. They are not a narcotic and that is why they are so easy to get. Any doctor will write you a script for them at anytime..because they don't realize that they are that addictive. Just be careful. I thought that I was doing the right thing by refusing vikes back then and now look at me Ultram is harder to quit because they are so easy to get. Good Luck
Helpful - 0
202347 tn?1189755825
I know its almost silly the way drugs are legally and pharmacologically classified from state to state. For instance in New Jersey and most surrounding states Tylenol w/codeine is classified as an opiate obviously but not classified as a narcotic. In California Propoxephene (Darvocet) is not classified as a narcotic and is sometimes used to help opiate withdrawal. Tramadol is also not classified as a narcotic in California. Its potency is about the least of all other opiate pain medications. I think I mentioned in another post today that morphine and cedeine are the only two opiates that are pure agonists to your opiate receptors but hydrocodone is much more potent. Tramadol is a partial agonist to opiate, serotonin, and norepinephrine receptors.

Someone mentioned in this Thread that their heart rate was abnormal after taking tramadol, this is concerning b/c Tramadol has not been found to have any effects on heart rate. Were you taking other medications at the time? ANY other medications?

xoxo- D.
Helpful - 0
Actually my Dr also told me that my heart racing when I first started taking them was anxiety and within days I no longer felt the heart racing and the sweats. It also gives you so much energy and your heart will race then also.
Helpful - 0
NO, I wasn't taking anything....only the tramadol.
My heart started to race, and flutter/skip beats and it kinda freaked me out.
Then that doctor on call told me to stop taking them cuz I was having a reaction.
Which does kinda suck cuz they worked pretty good on my fibro pain.
I don't know. I guess she'll just have to give me the vicodin again. I just really don't want to get hooked again, but I am in so much pain its really bad. I can't even do dishes for long....and right now typing this is KILLING my shoulderblades.
I gotta go..... t t y l

jen
Helpful - 0
Actually not labeled as a narcotic....but should be because it is HIGHLY ADDICTIVE...Believe me been addicted for 11 years. Try to stay away from them. You are going through the anxiety phase they give you anxiety for the first few times.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
they are the same...make me have panic attacks every time I take one... they raise your serotonin... some people are more sensitve to it...
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
and it IS a narcotic
Helpful - 0
IT IS???? I thought ultram/tramadol was NOT a narc...that it was a synthetic or something. Holy ****. THat explains the warm fuzzy feeling I got...but I thought it was in my mind, cuz I was told its like a vicodin, but not a narcotic.
****. I don't want to start all over again with the whole pill addiction thing....but dammit I am really in pain!
I did some googling, and yeah, tram and ultram are the same....but it didn't say what class narcotic it is.
IT DID say that convulsions are quite typical while taking this medication.
Nice, huh.
I'll just stay in pain before I take another one of these, I"ll tell ya that!
Thanks, fladdict. :)
Do you know what class narc it is?

jen
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
the funny thing my doc told me the same thing...then I had the panic attack then I got seretonin syndrome because it CAN'T be taken with a  bunch of anti depressants.. he didn't tell me that....  I was so mad..

Why is this medication prescribed?Return to top
Tramadol is used to relieve moderate to moderately severe pain. It may be used to treat pain caused by surgery and chronic conditions such as cancer or joint pain. Tramadol is in a class of medications called opiate (narcotic) analgesics. It works by decreasing the body's sense of pain.

(However if docs would look on the internet they would see what I found above..)
Helpful - 0
202347 tn?1189755825
Yes they are the same thing. Ultram is just the brand name.

It is a narcotic but a different schedule than morphine or hydrocodone b/c it is not nearly as potent, it has a very different chemical structure than most other opiates. It's also a partial agonist to your opiate receptors. Morphine and codeine are full agonists. Hydrocodone is a partial agonist also but is more potent than codeine.

And yeah Ultram binds to some of your serotonin receptors also. An increase in serotonin has been known to aid in pain for many people.  

xoxo- D.
Helpful - 0
202347 tn?1189755825
Yes they are the same thing. Ultram is just the brand name.

It is a narcotic but a different schedule than morphine or hydrocodone b/c it is not nearly as potent, it has a very different chemical structure than most other opiates. It's also a partial agonist to your opiate receptors. Morphine and codeine are full agonists. Hydrocodone is a partial agonist also but is more potent than codeine.

And yeah Ultram binds to some of your serotonin receptors also. An increase in serotonin has been known to aid in pain for many people.  

xoxo- D.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.