Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

methadone maintenance

My son is on methadone maintenance (4 months)He only told us about his drug problem because he could no longer afford it on the street. the actual drug he is addicted to according to him is methadone. It seems to me that his personality has changed and that our relationship has gone to pieces.  I am worried that his life is going down the tubes. The field he works in requires a drug test to get a job. he is currently laid off. How will he ever get a job with methadone in his system. I would like to hear from anyone who has a successful career and also anyone who has been on methadone for a long time
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
  As far as your son being drug-tested-work related drug screening wont show methadone- his test will be fine, that is un-less hes doing other drugs. But I was tested for a job a few months back and It came back clean, so no worrys.
Helpful - 0
I'm sorry I do not have any info on your specific question regarding methadone and drug tests, but may I venture to say that the reason your relationship is ailing probably has more to do with his drug use prior to the methadone. Try not to worry too much about him getting on with his career....first things first. Recovery (even when methadone is involved) does not happen overnight. He didn't get this way in a few months, and he's going to need to take baby steps right nowas he tries to reconstruct his life.

Please do not pressure him into hopping back on board with his career unless you want to see him relapse big time. If you are hoping for his successful distance from street drugs, then his career right now needs to be Fulltime Recovery Engineer. Seriously.

WIth your help, he may have a chance. You can choose right now whether you're going to be an asset or liability to him through this tenuous phase of his life. COnsider it a huge blessing and compliment (as well as a huge step in the right direction for him--honesty is everything in recovery) that he shared this with you. Start looking at the glass as half full rather than half empty.

Support him by offering to go to counseling together as a family, researching and learning about addiction, especially opiate addiction, and help him regain his health via proper nutrition, vitamins, and supplements.Keep your bounderies firm, and try not to become an "enabler" by giving too much monetary support, etc. He probably needs some help, but needs also to do some things on his own to build up his self-esteem. Try to find a balance.  Encourage him to attend 12-setp meetings like NA (it's been a huge help for me) and take yourself to an Al-Anon meeting (meetings for folks who are in relationships with addicts).  And remember to take care of yourself throughout all of this.

It sounds as though you love and care for your son very much. By channeling this love through actions appropriate to what he is going through right now is going to be a huge help to him. Keep looking for answers everywhere. You don't have to do this alone.

Wishing You & Your Family the Best,

--Athena

Helpful - 0
AMEN - AThena

Very very well said!

CCmom,

Your boy, is very fortunate, I believe, to have his Momma at his side!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.