Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Recognizing A Relapse Pattern

Greetings Forum Friends,

I've been away for several days and I'm back. I got through the big party I threw for my hubby's Birthday, but really, I'm most proud of getting through the four days w/the in-laws without losing it. Nevertheless I made it, substance free!!

I'm Day #18, and I want to report a key observation:

I have relapsed while trying to get off pills so many times I can't count. Funny thing is, I never relapse when I'm having a hard time or struggling with some huge life event. I get through those things (deaths in the family, huge work committments, conflicts with loved ones, moving, new jobs, etc.) and THEN I pick up AFTERWARD! Like I need a reward. It happens EVERY time like that.

In the past I always put so much emphasis on "getting through" a rough time without using, but I really need to put my money where my mouth is!!!! I'm focusing on the wrong thing here. Yesterday the in-laws left, the party was over and successful, and guess what, INTENSE CRAVINGS ALL DAY LONG--it was BRUTAL and I connot believe I survived. I did all the wrong things--I isolated, didn't tell anyone, hung out at home all day without even getting dresses, and sat around alone with these recurring feelings all day long. It was one of the toughest days yet.

Just an observation....It can't hurt to identify our triggers...What are yours?

Love,

--Athena
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I totally agree with you.  I think when we feel that we are safe, that is when the cravings strike!  During a crisis, maybe we are too busy and focused to worry about using but when it is over, like PTSD is when I feel more likely to use.  When I went to my friends house and stole her mom Percs a few weeks back I had just gotten through a tough weekend with my son....I don't know if it was  a reward because I felt like **** afterwards!  Very interesting....my triggers are many! When I am home during the day and cleaning....I was always high when I did that or going to a social function...A lot to think about.

Great job Athena, you are going strong now!!! Keep it up and let's hope we can stay where we are.....You are a great inspiration!!!!
Peace,
Marcie:)
Helpful - 0
  I can totally  relate.  when my child was very sick I was straight the whole time it was later I picked up.  I remember thinking o nothing else but my sick kid I don't think I would have handled everything as well stoned.
Helpful - 0
The 13 year old that lives here, is a trigger for me.....BIG TIME......She's a great kid dont get me wrong, in alot of ways, however....when her and I get into it.....I want to use...BADLY.......yet, I cant tell her that, it isnt like thats her problem...................So I just have to remmeber to breathe with her

Being around others that are using...any drug of choice that I want to stay away from...

Conflict always triggers me to use...
REally sad days, mostly if I cant dig out of it...sometimes I can talk myself out..other times I cant...and wham.............I want to use..

Sunny days...........................When I 'feel' really good....I want to use, and always fighting cravings..throughout the day...if I do pick up........and its for pain...I think see, there you go, cant survive without me..on a good day....Why bother?.................My disease talking...........

I have many more...
Thanks girl, I needed to see some of that .......................its always nice to get little messages of.............Hey, ummm, lol becarful..................Love how this board can keep me in check from day to day..for the most part..

C
Helpful - 0
You no that is so me .  I can get thru a crisis and not use .  But on the other side I want it too and I noticed that when I get mad at my b.f.  or think about breakin it off I want to pick up again. Its like I have to have one or the other my man or  pills.  Thank you so much for sharing the insight you have on yourself to others I no it has helped me ,, Thank God I am not in this alone.ooxx
Helpful - 0
Thanks to all of you who responded. It really is great to not feel alone in this insanity!!!

Love,

--Athena
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.