Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Now that I'm off morphine, doc gave me ativan.

I took my last tiny bit of morphine 2 almost 48 hours ago. I had surgery 6 weeks ago on my L4L5 disk. My doc gave me ativan to replace the amitriptyline but now I'm learning that ativan is addictive too (within 1 week?)  I don't want to detox from that yet too so I'm afraid to take it but I can't sleep now either.  How long does it take for the morphine effects to disappear and what should I expect to experience in the next little while (hopefully "little").  Is it just a matter of time before the "sick" feeling disappears?  I am not a druggee-just a ordinary runner that had surgery and was put on morphine 5 months ago.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dutchess, did you see kimmieb's post for today.  Talk to her.  She's dealing with cold turkey ativan.  I'm worried about her.  
Helpful - 0
Your comments are really helpful.  Do you know the rest of the story:  how long before morphine is actually out of the body-no more side effects.  So this morning I feel like **** again-very emotional (crying)-I'm 55 and generallly a stable person- nauseous, that tight rubbery feeling that doesn't feel normal.  Just to know that something is on track gives me hope that there's more track that has an end.  Yeah, I went down really slowly and consistently.  It was the last 5 mgs that didn't want to go.  I was even splitting a 15 mg geltab-opening it and dividing up the granuals to reduce the amount slowly.  My doc didn't know you could do that.  
Thanks for all your comments.  I've also really paid attention to Thomas's recipe of vitamins and minerals.  
Helpful - 0
202347 tn?1189755825
If you've been on morphine 5 months chances are you have become dependent. You should begin to experience withdrawal symptoms within 24 to 48 hours after the last dose so you're right on schedule. Ativan is a benzodiazepine, you can become somewhat dependent in one week it just depends. Unlike opiates though, benzodiazepines(xanax,valium,ativan) HAVE to be tapered down when you're ready to stop taking them, benzodiazepine withdrawal is very dangerous. You can take the ativan safely to help with withdrawal symptoms from the morphine and your doctor will safely taper you off when you are ready to stop taking the ativan. Let me ask you this, have you lowered your dose of morphine at all over the past few weeks?

xoxo- D.

By the way, pretty much everyone in this forum has been prescribed an opiate for pain. When you are on an opiate it is not a matter of "if" only "when" you will become dependent. No one here will see you that way because we actually understand how dependence occurs.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
If you take the ativan as directed and taper off when you don't need it anymore you should have no problems with getting dependant on it. if it helps you.. take it.. don't be afraid just be responsible with it..
Helpful - 0
This is a good one for Dutchess Golden.. I bet she could tell you the answer....
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.