Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Addicted BAAADDDD to Lortabs and percs

I have been taking anywhere from 7-15 lortabs or percs a day. I am determined to quit starting on Saturday night...I am even going to stay with family that knows about my situation. The biggest problem I have is that since I know I am quiting I have been going crazy with them the last few days. I have been on them for a little over a year. There were times I could take only 4 a day but now it is a mental game that I can't quit unless I just quit cold turkey. I truely believe that is the only way for me.....Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well today is CLEAN DAY #3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly I don't feel so bad. I am just feeling very tired and weak, no ENERGY I hate that the most. I have some headaches too but not bad. I am so Happy! I did this! I hope I never ever turn to pills again....now I just need some energy!!!!!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
it's nice to know that i'm not the only teacher in the world who used to rely on pain pills to get through.  Granted, we both know that the kids weren't the reason we were taking them, but wow, did it help...lol (I teach 56 8th graders a day...)
I'm having a rough night, and it comforts me and gives me hope to read these instead of thinking about a pill.  
Helpful - 0
202563 tn?1192377417
Thats exactly what I did.....I planned to eat all my pills 1st and then start but.....I took them fast (16 -20 -10's per day)and suddenly I was faced with the fact that it was time!
10 days now.....You can do it! Like everyone here will tell you........read the things people post here on this board and remember there are always people on here that know exactly what you are going through.......If thats what you want to do.....tough it out...its so worth it! Good Luck!
Chuck
Helpful - 0
Just wanted to say hi,, We are from the same place, I wonder if we know each other,,, Peace,,, G
Helpful - 0
Congratulations on recognizing that you need to quit!  You sound just like me!  Of course that's something we all say around here.  I quit taking for about a month and the withdrawals were so bad, physiclly and mentally, that I started back.  The "monsters" would not let me be.  I always refer to them as monsters.  Anyway, I was at the end of my rope when I found this forum.  People here are really great.  You will get a lot of support and feedback.  I have only been here for about a month.  I have started on day one about three times in the last two weeks..  lol!  Right now, I'm steady taking Lorocet 10's.  I have about 14 left, and I'm already contemplating when and where to get more.  I'm so pathetic, I know.  At this point, I take anywhere from six to ten a day - maybe more on the weekends.   Trust me, there is nothing you could say here that anyone would judge you for. We are all addicted to something or trying to help someone who is.  
I guess I first started taking pain meds when I had a kidney stone. I thought they were the greatest thing in the world. They helped the pain and made me feel like I could take on the world. I had so much energy. Energy I needed just to be sane. I was in the middle of a nasty divorce and was very depressed. The pain meds made me feel alive again - at least for a while. I guess at first i didnn't take enough to have bad withdrawals, because when I ran out, I did okay. So I took them off and on for about two years. I started back to school at 29 and worked during the day and went to school at night. I had gotten a bad cold and my doctor gave me Tussinex. It contains hydrocodone. Liquid Heaven! It was so much better than pills. I guess that's what finally hooked me. Again though, the withdrawals were not really bad. Last May I had my thyroid removed because of thyroid cancer. Again, I had all the pain meds I needed. Lorocet 10's to be exact. I found that I could do anything. I had remarried and felt they gave me the energy to be a "good wife". They also helped me get through a day of 22 fifth graders. (Yes, I am an elementary school teacher) I could teach better than ever. I realized I had a problem when I started stealing pills from my mom, who had just had a knee replacement. I also took pills from other family members. My aunt asked me one day if I'd took any of her meds. Of course, I lied, and she knew it. I felt so ashamed. I assured her that I didn't have a problem. Lately, I've stolen money from my husband, father, and mother to buy pills. When you start buying them, you know you're addicted. I have paid as little as $5 to as much as $7 for Lorocet 10-s. I have probably spent about $600.00 in the last six months. I feel dirty, ashamed, miserable, helpless, alone...and every other emotion you can imagine. I am not a bad person and have never stole or done anything illegal in my life. I was raised in a Christian home and have a wonderfully close family. You're lucky that you can talk to your family.  The only person I talk to about any of this is my best friend. I'm too ashamed to talk to my family, and my husband holds a very prestigious position in our community and everyone knows him, so, I just don't trust anyone.  Besides, everything has always been black or white, or right or wrong to my husband.  He is a wonderful, loving man but he would not understand.  He would just look at addiction as a sign of weakness. Oh well, that's why it's so important for me to talk to everyone here. They will help you...I will help you. . You will often hear me refer to the pills as "monsters" that is because monsters are real and they come in brown botttles with child-proof lids. They control your every move. I hate the sob's.

xoxo
T

Helpful - 0
186166 tn?1385259382
i think so...
Helpful - 0
Seriously!!!  No comment from he/she... Oh well..
Helpful - 0
Good for you!!!  The determination to do it is first and foremost the hardest part.  I hear ya though.  It's a BIG mental game.  I, too, have been taking lortabs.  I haven't quite taken as many a day (I've taken TWO per day, 2 10's).....but I HAVE taken them for years and years and years.  So I've got longevity here, even though the dosage per day is a little lower than what might appear to be "addictive."  I'm between days 3 and 4 right now.  I'm not having physical w/ds but am craving one so badly I could kill for one.  Like just to take one and everything would be fine on Earth once again.  I could relax and enjoy my evening.  Have a nice dinner with my family.  Stuff like that.  They are SO psychologically addicting.  Let us know how things progress.  There are so many good people on this site.  If you go through old posts, you will get LOTS and LOTS of pertinent information from people who are going through or who have already gone through what you're experiencing right now.  Please don't feel alone.  There are MANY of us out here in the same boat, wanting the same end, just not sure how we're going to make it there.  But God bless you for starting the fight.  ~Kim
P.S.  From what I hear, physical w/d's include some shaking, sweating, diarrhea (not everyone thogh), nausea and/or throwing up (again, not everyone).  Drink TONS TONS TONS of water.  Sleep anyhow you can.  I'm not pushing other drugs, but a friend who went through this a few years back told me that she had to take Nyquil caplets just to sleep at night.  She still kicked the pills.  Worth a shot if you can't sleep because of all the other physical symptoms.  I don't know which will be harder -- physical or psychological.  If you figure it out, can you let me know please.  Thanks!!  ~Kim  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.