Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

My Plan (cont....)

I know that methadone is even worse to come off of than oxy...but I figured it would be ok for a short period of time.  That way...the 9 days will ease me off the oxys a little and then by only taking methadone for 9 days...I can ease off that too.  I know I will still be going through WD but I thought this would help them out a little bit.  I am going to give this a shot either way but any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
182493 tn?1348052915
Well its a plan.. I don't know how well it will work.. methodone is very long acting and it is usually suggested that you only taper 2.5 mgs per week. So I am not too familiar with it other than I was given it in detox when I was coming off heroin years ago. maybe someone with more experience with it can help.. I still think Suboxone is your best bet.. most docs don't take insurance for the treatment anyway so not having any isn't a big deal or even if you want to go the methodone route finding a clinic that can taper you appropriatly.. maybe Dutchess Golden can help you .. her hubby is a doc at a methodone clinic.
Helpful - 0
I know this isn't the best plan Steph...actually I am not even sure its a good idea.  But my sister went to detox and thats what they did for her.  I don't have all the time in the world because of my work schedule.  But I figure what the hell...I am gonna give it a shot.  It can't get any worse than the situation I am in now.  And I know that I do have the suboxone as a definite backup plan.  This sure would be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier though.  Hopefully more people read my post and can comment on it.  I will be on all night...let me know if you hear anything.  Thanks girlie.  :) :)
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
michele I applaud you for having a plan.. I am proud that you are attempting to take some steps in a different direction.. I would post to Dutchess Golden like i said her hubby is a doc at a methodone clinic she may have some insight on tapering with the amount you have.. I do think you may need to slow it down some more at the end.. stopping at 10 mgs a day of methodone will still be quite hard.  I am here for ya girl.. I am here in your corner with pom poms cheering you on..
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
i think somewhere online there is a conversion of narcotics.. so you could compare your daily oxy dose to the methodone dose to start at. I know when I started tapering I was able to start at less than i was normally taking.. I went from 10 to 6 a day without a problem then I started from there.just thought it might help to know how much oxy equals how much methodone.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.