Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Alcohol During WD's

Something came up and I gotta go out tonight. It's going to be at a social event.

Yea, I could play the "I'm sick" card - but with so many people around, I'm going to have a panic attack. I could avoid this by having a few drinks - doing so I can avoid the anxiety, and have a small bonus of making WD's subside.

Question is - does alcohol impede (sp) the road to recovery in any way, shape, or form? I'm not talking getting drunk, I'm talking 3-5 drinks - the fact that when I have had a few in past WD's, I tend to feel better from the WD's makes me think there is some sort of connection. It doesn't make all the WDs go away, legs actually feel more sore - but I have a bit more energy and don't obsess about how I'm feeling, and the days to come.

I'm not looking to trade one problem for another, again, I'm just curious if drinking alcohol delays WDs.

If so, I may need to come up with another plan.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
no its not the same , enjoy just don't over do over do it or take anything else ie benzo or something.
Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
You seem to ask two question: 1) does "drinking alcohol delays WDs"?; and 2) "does alcohol impede (sp) the road to recovery in any way, shape, or form?"

On no. 1 I'd say "probably not."  Alcohol generally works differently than opiates, although some alcoholics metabolize alcohol into an opiate-like molecule called THIQ.  So, unless you are a THIQ alcoholic, you're talking apples and oranges as far as actual wd goes.

No. 2 is, for me, not so clear cut.  I must avoid anything and everything that is mood altering -- not just stuff that will get me high, but ANYTHING that alters mood by altering brain chemistry.  I just had an appointment with a new family doc this afternoon and I gave him a copy of the long list of Rx and OTC meds that are off limits to me.  Docs who are not used to working with addicts tend to think only in terms of whether or not drug-x is addictive (or has high abuse potential) and if not they assume it's OK for an addict.  

NA takes a pretty straight forward approach to alcohol: DON'T.

Here's what the Basic Text says in How it Works: "Thinking of alcohol as different from other drugs has caused a great many addicts to relapse. Before we came to NA, many of us viewed alcohol separately, but we cannot afford to be confused about this. Alcohol is a drug. We are people with the disease of addiction who must abstain from all drugs in order to recover."

All that being said, when I got to my 2nd rehab in June of 2005, the only way I made it through the first 2 days was with 2 of those big bottles of beer, which I was able to buy (and guzzle) when I snuck out of an NA meeting on day-1 and an AA meeting on day-2.  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.