Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hello all of my wise friends....

Hi Everyone!  I hope that everyone is doing well on their individual recovery.  I am back with a question.  As many know, I quit Norco CT back in the beginning of March.  I was taking 1/2 of a 5 mg. pill in the evening for pain while I awaited my knee surgery.  I had surgery last Friday, the surgeon removed approx. 30% of my medial meniscus and 25-30 % of synovial tissue (which should regenerate).  I was prescribed celebrex and norco 5/325 2 or 3 pills every 6 hours as needed.  I was doing fine with 1 or 2 pills every 8 or so hours and even made it as long as 36 hours with no pain meds.  But since this morning I am in unbearable pain.  I seriously can't even move my leg without tears.  I tried up to 4 pills two hours ago but I get NO relief.  My doc said it is because of the swelling, so I am icing and elevating.  But my question to all of you is - how much of the norco can I safely take at once?  I know about my tylenol limits but I don't know if there is an amount of the hydro that is too high.  I am not worried about this as far as abusing it for a high - because I am not seeking that I just need some relief.  I have never taken more than 40mg of hydro at one time but as of right now 20 mg at once is doing nothing.  I was going to try to take ativan and just go to sleep, but I am in so much pain my ativan isn't even relaxing me.  Can anyone help?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am scared to take them but I also have a bottle of Ultram XR 100 mg - prescribed at 1 pill every 24 hours.  

I am afraid to take them because of the stories I have heard about Ultram - but do you think for a few days it would help and be more effective than the norco 5s?

Thank you everyone!
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
Please be careful dear.. keep acetiminaphin dose under 4000 mgs a day.. as far as the hydro.. just be careful..  the more you take the slower your breathing can become.. taking four at once was 20mgs right?? I would try some Ibuprophen before taking any more yet.. like I said respritory distress is the number one concern..
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
take what controls your pain.. maybe wait a few hours and try an Ultram but after that do not take more hydro.. if you taper off these meds when your knee gets better you should not have a problem.
Helpful - 0
Yes, 4 was a total of 20 mg.  I am very careful with my tylenol dosage - but thank you.  I took an 800 mg. motrin about 3 hours ago - I'm just feeling like I can't get relief.  I am icing, icing, icing, but today nothing is giving relief.  There doesn't seem to be any sign of infection or really any other reason.  I started physical therapy 3 days after surgery and have been going daily since Monday for 30 minutes - I really don't do a work out every day, just every other day, the other appointments have been for ultrasound therapy and passive motion to try to get my range of motion back.  I don't know if the PT is too much or if weather (its damp and cold here) is effecting it.  I'm just miserable today.  Thank you for responding!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.