Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Question???

What is the difference between Oxycodone and Oxycontin?  Does Oxycontin have Tylenol in it too?  I'm so wierd because I don't know what to think about anything anymore!  Okay, enough said for now!
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Oxycontin is the extended release version of oxycodone which is immediate acting. Ideally you take the oxycontin on a scheduled basis for chronic pain so it is in your system continuously and then use the oxycodone for breakthrough pain which means when you need it. Neither has Tylenol in it but some pills such as Percocet or Roxicet are oxycodone mixed with Tylenol (also referred to as APAP.) Percodan is oxycodone with aspirin in it. On the label you may see "Oxycodone with APAP 5/325" This means 5 mgs of oxycodone mixed with 325mgs of Tylenol. Don't ever exceed 4 grams a day of Tylenol as this can damage your liver. You are never supposed to break or crush oxycontin since all the medicine designed to be extended release is all released at once. Like someone said above, this could cause respiratory depression and death but oxycontin is not purely oxycodone with a coating as someone also said above. The chemical make-up is different. Sucking off the coating does not convert oxycontin into oxycodone. I recommend not starting oxycontin abuse- it will make your life miserable.
Helpful - 0
511524 tn?1266349934
oxycontin has only oxycodone in it, oxycontin is set up to be a slow release formulation for oxycodone to be released over a 12 hour period on set amount..by sucking of the coating and either crushing or chewing the oxycontin tablet you have broke the time release and have an immediate high dose of oxycodone..there is no tylenol in it..percocet or percodan, and the genreics that you can get are 5-20mgs oxyocodone tablets with 325-500-mgs of tylenol(acetaminophen) in it...regardless of if you crush or chew the percocet(or any other oxycodone/APAP(tylenol) pill) it will still have the tylenol and it will be a lot less oxycodone in it overall. oxycontin's two most prescribed and sought after dosages are the 40mgs and 80mgs pills...if someone who doesn't have a tolerance with opiates or oxycontin, taking by snorting or injecting a whole 80mg pill will msot likely cause severe respiratory depression and possibly death..that is a cause of alot of overdoses especially when combined with other sedatives like xanax or valium..some between the two both have oxycodone in it which is 50% more potent than hydrocodone(vicodin) and is a potent opioid,but oxycontin contains a large amount of pure oxycodone and the 5mg oxycodone/APAP or percocet has a small amount of oxycodone, along with tylenol in it as well.
Helpful - 0
oxycodone and oxycontin are they same thing and labled as such dont have anything but oxycodone in them.The difference is one is immediate release and one is continuious release.Thus the oxy-"contin." Some things like Percocet have tylenol in them.
Helpful - 0
Try to stay away from both!  I took oxycontin(sniffed em) for only two weeks and when I ran out I had flu like symtoms and vomiting for two solid days!  Can't imagine what someone who takes them for a year or more would have to go through. ugh!
Helpful - 0
198154 tn?1337787265
Oxycodone is about half as strong as oxycotin.

Oxycodone is percocet
Helpful - 0
oxycontin does not have tylenol in it and is ( i think) extended releare.

Oxycodone does have tylenol in it. It is not extended>

AJ10/325
Helpful - 0
I don't think either one has tylenol in it.  I was on Oxycontin ERs for almost 3 years.  I think oxycodone might be the generic name.  Why do you want to know?
Yoda
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.