Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Ultram abuse

Hello to all!
I have read many of your posts on this site and it has given me so much hope for my future.Thank you.
My story of drug abuse is not unlike many of yours.I went to the Doctor about 14 years ago for some unkown illness that was giving me  pain.I was told so many different things,long story short I was told I have Lupus,fybro,arthr
and so on.Many drugs later I was given Ultram I have been on it for about 12 years! No one in my family new this I have never told anyone about my abuse over the years my Husband did not even know.I have never really taken to much, but more than perscibed on and off for sure! After all these years I have found out I do not have Lupus and Fybro I have Celiac disease.I am so MAD I can hardly describe it!!All these years of suffering and drug abuse thinking I really needed it and getting caught up in the mental aspect of it all! My Doctor just kept writing the scripts and I let him and filled them.I do not want to take this drug anymore but do not know how to stop!  I have no support right now and that is my very own falt! I have been trying to taper down in the last 2 weeks It as been Hell! I really could use some advice.I have never posted on line before so I did not give the whole long drawn out story,so I hope this makes some sence!
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
So sorry! Just wanted to clarify that my last post was meant for an unusually rude post by someone criticizing you, but when mine finally posted, theirs had been deleted! I was just so upset that someone could criticize another when they are.going out on a limb and asking for support! Anyhow, while I have never been addicted to ultram, I have been to any other opiate I could get my hands on. I did some checking as I had been prescribed ultram on a few occasions and wanted to find out if I could get a high from them. I received many different responses. However, being that it is a synthetic opiate and you have been taking it for several years I imagine you have formed an addiction to it. I would also suggest a very slow taper. You may or may not experience strong physical wd's but the mental wd's can really do a number on you. If you take it slow and try not to psych yourself out to much you may be able to avoid much of the wd's. Are you able to talk to you dr to see how strong the wd's can get and if there are any comfort meds he/she might be able to arm you with if necessary? I'm speaking of clonidine or maybe valium. But of course, be careful with those bad boys because they could bring on a whole new set of problems if you overuse them. Anyhow, best of luck to you and again, sorry for the confusion over my last message - hopefully they will just delete it as they did with the rude one I was responding to. Again, take care and keep us posted!!
Helpful - 0
Wow. You sound incredibly bitter. This WOMAN (you keep referring to her as though she were a man) is obviously reaching out for help. Are you honestly so unhappy that you are going through and critiqueing people's spelling and missing their message? So far I have been very impressed with the compassion and empathy people have shown one another on this site. It is unfortunate that a negative person such as yourself has been allowed to post and possibly discourage someone from asking for help for fear they may misspell something and be ridiculed for it.
PS - before you criticize someone for a few minor misspellings, you may really want to check your punctuation as it could use a massive overhaul.
Helpful - 0
Hi, and welcome.
I never had a problem w/tramadol I was on oxycodone, hydrocone for about 4 yrs.  I did use it to help with WDs before, i usually had it on hand all the time just to take when i ran out of percs.   You have been taking it for a very long time and it is going to take time to get off of them.
  Just try and accept the fact that is going to take a while and at times be very uncomfortable.   Try to relax and make it as painless as possible by tapering down.

I recently realized that we are all in such a hurry, (at leeast i have been),  and .
It's just going to take as long as it takes. I didn't get  this way over night and its  not going get better over night.

Hope this helps.

AJ
Helpful - 0
this place keeps me honest with mysel
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your help! It means alot to me!

Yikes!12 years really looks horrible in print!
I just want to be finished with this habit.I now know I have no idea what I am doing! I do know I can not do it on my own! I am in search of a new Dr.and just reaching out to you is a huge step for me!
Reading your advice was very helpful because I never would have thought it was such a slow process to get off ! I did not know the power of this drug! In my mind I want off now! but my body does not agree!  Looks like I am in for a tough fight!  I am up for it!!  
Thank you again! I will stay here a while and gather strenght and insperation!

Helpful - 0
12 years? I think you need to slowly taper. Unless you have a medical reason otherwise, go as slow as possible.

I'd suggest cutting 1/8 a pill off - take that amount for 1 week, then cut it by another 1/8 (or 1/4 total) - go a week - rinse, repeat.

Best of luck to you.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.