Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Memory Loss from long term opiate addiction

Hello, This is my first time posting...I have huge concern regarding my memory loss from opiate abuse.  I am on day 10... and feel this time I will succeed!  I am aware this is very early in the game...My question is will I get back to normal in a year or so...and what vitamins etc would you recommend? Thanks in advance.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am 1 yr and 4 months off of Morphine, Percocet 10's, Methadone, Roxycodone and a lot of other's from my doctor my memory is still very bad but I still have hope it will get better
Helpful - 0
1 Comments
Sorry computer posted twice w unknown number's
I am 1 yr and 4 months off of Morphine, Percocet 10's Methadone, Roxycodone and a lot of other's from my doctor my memory is still very bad but I still have hope it will get better.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the info...I do take the Mega woman vitamin...also B-Complex....L-Glutimine...Zinc....L-Tyrosine and Cal-Mag...I am trying to eat really good.  Kale (all greens) and blueberrie are some of the  best foods... I am just SO worried about the loss of memory...  8 years on percs...tried many many times to stop for good...The longest I lasted was like 33 days.. I was running and working out routinely and then ...well you know the rest... Thanks again for your support!!
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your quick response..How long have you been in recovery??  I have been trying to get off percs for 8 years..The longest that I lasted off them..... was 33 days..then the little demon sneaks back in. I had been quite the athlete for years prior and it all just fades away...I must do it this time as my youngchildren and husband need me..I have been doing lots of vitamins and eating right....But NO MEMORY....pretty scary.. I hope to speak to you again. Thanks
Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
The memory does come back if you stay clean, along with what I found to be a stratling degree of mental clarity.  I just hit 23 months and I find that it's still getting better - not just better than before active addiction, but better than ever before: I've always had agood memory, but they were somehow devoid of feeling.  It was like I could always easily recite what happened, where, when, to whom, and give lots of details that family and friends never got or didn't recall,  However, it was always just so much data - I almost might as well have been reading the recollections of another out of a diary (that's not quite right, but it's close).  

Now, I frequently have memories that to me seem almost like flashbacks or something - it's almost like I'm there again and I capture the emotion of the event.  Very strange (but cool) for me - my sponsor just laughs at me and says "Yea, that's called memory."

Given that there is a big change from the way my memory has EVER worked, I credit the nutrients and amino acids that I've been on since I went to rehab in 6/05.  Check out the books: End Your Addiction Now, by Charles Gant; The Mood Cure, by Julia Ross; and/or Seven Weeks to Sobriety, by . . . I Can't Remember.
Helpful - 0
I'm not really sure about memory loss and I would need to know the extent of your addiction to tell you about how long it would take to have that normal feeling again. It differs from person to person and it really depends on how much you take(Mgs) a day and what kind of pills or drugs you take. As for the vitamins I take Mega Man multi vitamin from GNC. I also take L-carnitine250 to gain some energy back, melatonin at night for sleep, and fish body oils 1000 (omega-3 fatty acids). They say with the fish oils if taken over time it can help with your saratonin(sorry for the spelling) levels. I work out to help try and take my mind off the pills and withdrawls. I take Nitrix, Cellmass, and N.O. Explode all from a company called BSN. All the BSN products I take give me back alot of the energy I lost do to the pills I took and espscially when I stoped taking the pills. The Mega man vitamin works great for me and they also have a vitamin for women also. Just check out Gnc or Vitamin world and see if you like anything. As for me I was taking tramodol, oxycotin,and dilluatid for 4 or more years. Today is day 2 for me. If you need anything at all just post and thier will be a bunch of great and very smart people here to help you with anything. Good luck with everything and I will be praying for you.

With lots of love,
                                                      Lee
Helpful - 0
177003 tn?1266270355
I was getting ready to shut down the computer and go to bed when I saw your post. 10 days is nothing to sneeze at. Soon the 10 will turn into 20. You're doing well.

The short term memory loss was a big concern of mine, too. I talked to my Dr. about it and she said it was the fentanyl, and yes, opioids do cause it, but the memory comes back when you stop using them. I have a great long term memory, but ask me what I had for lunch two days ago and I have no idea. I am constantly looking at the calendar because I forget the date several times in one day.

Welcome to the forum. There are some fantastic people here. You have come to the right place for support. I'm off to bed but I will be here tomorrow.

Take Care....LS
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.