Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What to expect the first 6 days

I have been reading posts on this site for several weeks and quit my hydrocodone habit 6 days ago. I see a lot of new people so I wanted to share what I have gone through the last 6 days for those of you who have not began withdrawal or just started.
Day 1: I felt like total poo, I ended up telling my husband I had cramps and went to bed for several hours. After getting up from the nap I just sat in my recliner for the rest of the day. I had diarrhea, sweats with serious b/o, cold chills, stomach upset, severe cravings (hunted the whole house for just 1 pill that may have lodged somewhere), sneezing, yawning, just complete blaahhh.
Day 2: Much like the first day although with the help of Immodium AD and a strong multivitamin and ibuprofen I at least got up. I ate very, very little and was repulsed by anything with sugar in it. I used to down coca-colas all day and now I could not even look at them. I laid on the couch when by kids got home from school and woke up in a panic about 15 minutes later, didn't realize I had fallen asleep. At night I could not get comfortable and lay awake watching tv with a pounding headache and the urge to stretch my whole body for some reason.
Day 3: Felt much better, vitamins may have kicked in. Still had sick feeling in stomach, cravings (not as bad as day 1 and 2), general lethargy, still sweating a lot with chills occasionally, still sneezing. Slept more than night before with less constant waking up.
See next post
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
WELL DONE mom! everyone of your posts on this thread was very accurate, even down to the part about facing "tests."  I feel like I myself wrote it, I am a guy though.  I am on day 12 C/T today.  I got my test on Day 6 when I saw one of my suppliers.  I couldve so easily gotten them, but I didnt ask, and he didnt either- he could tell I was straight now.  That truley was THE defining moment.
I'm definately not trying to be negative, but just watch out.  After you get through all of the major physical and mental w/d and feel "normal" again, you will start to experience cravings etc.  It is a day to day battle well after the first week. In fact, its for the rest of your life.   I too, have set the 30 day goal.  I figure if I hit 30 days, I can go forever.  As far as my habit goes, it was very significant and we'll leave it at that (fentanyl, vics, percs, norcos etc every single day).
KEEP IT UP!!
Helpful - 0
199177 tn?1490498534
stayathomemom.
you are doing GREAT thank you for posting . I had my first doctors appt when I was 29 days clean and I siad noooo thanks it took all of the will power i had but i did it . Just keep taking it day by day it just keeps getting better .You will have ups and downs but you can do it :).
Avis (on day 38) :)
Helpful - 0
I guess I should have said I mainly took hydrocodone 10/500, but would take whatever similar I could get. I would go through 120 in about 2 weeks. Got a new doctor recently who put me on 90 7.5/500's for the last three months. I took those in about a week and a half. I alway managed to find someone to give me some, no pride in the end, calling people I barely knew. I have NEVER told anyone I have a problem although I am sure my husband has a hunch. He doesn't know a lot of my lies though. I mostly feel pride now that I am not a pathetic pill searcher like before, lying, counting my pills daily and then worrying about when I would run out and how to get more. It was a downward spiral that would have really gotten me in trouble in the near future. It's soo hard to quit after 7 years, but my body is beat! I had heart palpatations, severe acid reflux that made me feel like I was going to have a heart attack, upset stomach with burning pretty much everyday, severe constipation and hemoroids, it just wasn't worth it. Not now that I know how good it feels to stop. I have never made it to day 6 before and never really wanted to until recently. I was moody, hateful, no sex drive, tired, and sick most of the time. I always made excuses for the pills and they came before my husband and my kids most days. Good luck to those of you fighting. Hang on and just know how proud you will be able to say I don't take pain pills!!!!!
Helpful - 0
Wow! I really want to applaud you for your courage & will power. I too am going to be logging my experiences coming off of a 9 year vicodin affair.  I'm ready. Well, my brain & my heart are ready. I hope my body will catch up. I'm starting today to wean off. Very slowly. CT is NOT for me.  My motto is "Slow & steady wins the race."  

Keep up with the vitamins.  I think you're doing a great thing!

Oh, and if I don't get a chance to post before Sunday.....

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!
Helpful - 0
I think posting detailed progress helps so much. It's what I looked for when I came here. Although all people are different in their withdrawal I am sure it helps to know that if you do have something going on you are not alone. I still get urges come and go to seek the pills, but luckily they go away fast. I go to the doc on the 22nd to get more injections and he always says "Need another script?" This will be the first time I have to say no thanks, which will be a true test for me. I have already been asked by one of my "suppliers" if I wanted her to bring me some and I said no, thank god! It was tough, but taking just one will throw me back almost 7 days . . . . uhhh no!
Good Luck to you and I will post to you when I see you on here to talk about how you are doing. It's tough, but it makes you feel so good. I look at people on tv now and think "I am normal now too" (well almost) and before I could never understand how they put one foot in front of the other without medication. I was so envious of that and now we will have that too! yeah!
Helpful - 0
Congrates on your first 6 days. Very nice post just the kind of thing people need to read. Day by Day excactly what to expect how to cope and when it gets better is  excactly what many people sitting on a fence need to hear. Bravo to you
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much for that post. I think you are doing great and it really helps others to post your first 6 days. Please keep posting!!! :0)
Helpful - 0
Everything you posted screams "me".  I want to quit, I just can't imagine the withdrawals (oxycontin 80 mg 3-3x a day, 3 yrs.).  I want to feel normal again, that would be so GREAT!  I think the dosage I am at it is going to be to hard to quit without help or tapering down.  I wish I had the courage you have.  One day....
Helpful - 0
I tried and failed many times but this time I had my mind set on it. I think you have to hit a point of do or die. I wanted to quit many times (at least I thought I did) but as soon as I heard of someone with meds I was calling them asking for some. I have more self control this time and determination. I am moving to a new home, looking for a job and want to start over! When I worked before I couldn't even get up and go the mornings I didn't have pills. No more for me! When you are truly ready you'll know it. Good luck to you I am pulling for you and I have you in my thoughts. :)
Helpful - 0
Day 4: Felt way better, kept up with vitamins and since I have lower back pain I took ibuprofen according to dosage all day. Obviously did not relieve total pain, but for some reason made me feel better. I actually cleaned the house a bit and then went to the store later in the evening. It was so weird to be "normal" and walking around with other people. Slept like a log! By the way I never took sleep aids.
Day 5: Actually blared the music in my kitchen while I straigtened the house, but tired easily and kept coming back to this board to reassure myself that I was making progress. I laughed at tv shows and commercials and also cried at others that I would have not cried before. Slept very well.
Day 6: Today, I feel pretty good. Still have a headache but I think I have sinus issues cause it's behind my eyes. Could still be withdrawal though, not sure. Stomach still healing I can feel it and sneezing still (??? sinuses), but I feel so much better than I ever did on the pills! I would sit in a daze on the pills not aware of anything. I would not want to play with my kids even though I kept popping the pills for the "high". There was no high in the end, just my mind telling me I had to have them. I just want you all to know that it IS worth quitting, trust me. I smile to myself for no reason and even laughed with my husband last night which I haven't done for years. It is remarkable how much better you feel. I can't wait to get to the 30-day mark. I can say I am DONE with narcotics forever.
:( Sorry so long, just wanted to help
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.