Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Cowboy Taper

Hey there. I know this is not a huge deal for most but it is a step in the right direction for me. I know its going to sound bad to most but its better then i have been doing. Im using Comboys taper as a guide to try and ween myself down yo a lower amount and once I feel the time is right Im just gonna quit it for good.

What I have been doing the past 2 days is doing 4 pills every 4-5 hours. They put me at 20 pills the past 2 days. I know this still sounds like a big number but just 2 days before at the end of the day I did 37 10mg lorcets and 6 somas.I was sitting down and really trying to figure out how many i have been doing a day  and it is easy 25-30. So I know 20 sounds bad but like I said its  my first step to beat this.

I hope I can shave 1 pill per dose by the end of the week but we will see. My goal is to have this pretty much beat by july 18. I picked that date because my lil girl turns 2 on that day and I would love to spend my first day with her sober on her big day.

Just a quick question for others out there. how many pills are or was others doing out there per day so  know how deep i dug this hole of mine?

On a side note I just got of the phone with one of my long time pill popping friends and i couldnt stomach talking to him ATM.  He was so mesed up i could not even stand talking to him. My goal is once i clean myself up is to try and help him out... thats if he wants the help.

Once again sorry for the ramble but today is the best i have felt in over a year. I feel like im moving in the right direction.

Peace out dawg,
John
12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hey,
I just wanted to post ya back with my experience.  I was up to around 40 - 50 oxy and perc 10mg a day... don't know how I didn't kill myself but like you and alot of other people here was tryin to get the initial high and failed miserably but didn't care just kept on tryin'.  I went 13 days with the help and support of the people on here, then started taking a few one day, then 2 days without, then one day a few, then two days without.  I can't seem to shake the few but it's way better than the 40-50 pills a day I was taking.  I know I should quit but all of you know better than anyone that doesn't take pills, easier said than done.  I wish you luck and all the best.  My prayers are with you.  Take care and god bless, Lil.  :)

PS.  Don't listen to that ****, with all the talk he does about na meetings, it sounds like that dumbass nomas... hahaaaa... as stupid as he sounds, he sounds like he takes more than anyone here... or miserable enough to tell em' to please take a pill lol... j/k have a good nite all :)
Helpful - 0
That was to you independant.
Helpful - 0
And yes just taking the 20 pills aday fromm 35-40 i do get WD. Ones i can live with but im not feeling good.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
I understand you are making sense. I really wish for your sake you could cut down more. the APAP is probably wrecking your liver.. That amount of it can cause toxic levels in your body.. I am sure you already know this. Why not try seeing how much you need to take to stay out of WD?? It may be less than your mind is tricking you into taking. I am just concerned for your health.. I want to make sure you will be around for that daughter of yours.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
sorry just read your second post to me... well then your taper sounds like a good plan.. I wish you the best... You may wanna get a liver enzyme test and get checked out.. I am told taking milk thistle can help heal the liver..
Helpful - 0
I was taking any where from 25 to 45 a day. And i am taking methadone now, benn doing that for about a month now.  Believe it or not 45 mg a day and it is holding me.  I do have the sweats and ache all over, but it is nothing like it was trying to go ct.

Good luck! You can do it!  KVMJ

lookyhere GO AWAY AND DIE !
Helpful - 0
No the 25-30 was not getting me high. Only time I really got high was the first dose I would take at work 10 pills at 5am would get me high for about 30 mins or so. Then after that I was just  chasing the high. My opinion on people that take 30+ pills is this... after so long you really dont get the high that you are looking for so you then turn the feeling of not being high into a withdrawl. Its kinda hard to explain. But what i would do is say I take 12 pills at once.... wait 20 mins and I dont feel High but I feel I tad bit sick form all the cut that is mixed with the hydrocodone. so im my beady lil brain i tell myself I have withdrawls and take another 5-10. So what Im doing is taking so many pills that the cut makes me sick... my body is getting immune to the hydrocodne so the next step is organs shutting down or ODing.

Hope this makes so sort of sense. Im not the best typer or speller.... just doing the best I can.
Helpful - 0
I thought looky was a friend of yours and the "dont listen to fladdict " was a joke,,srry it was harrasment,I guess you already know that ignore stuff so i wont say it,,gl in recovery
Helpful - 0
My doc test my liver every  6 months. I just had it tested like 2 months ago and everything came back clean. The sad part is that 20 pills a day does not even seen like a whole lot to me anymore... even tho i know it really is.

Im going to tapper down as fast as i can go. I dont want to milk it and say well im on a tapper program and think it is alrigt to do 20 pills a day for the nest 2 years. The sooner i get it lower the more money i will save and the beter off my health will be.  20 pills is still a 60-80 dollar aday habbit. thats a damn car payment.

One question....... if i was to just quit cold turkey right now with my body being used to doing 25+ aday or weening my self down to say 10 then going cold turkey will the WD be less?
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
Nope not a friend... just someone who likes to come on and harrass people from time to time... thanks for your support...you and kvmj... I have been here along time.. 4 months in fact.. so I have seen this happen before..
Helpful - 0
There is no half taper. you will get a good amount if not full WD unless you get tapered down to under 15mg a day. (not 15mg per dose PER DAY) This is from my experience. I came down from a high mg a day you can too. The COWBOY way is slow and steady, I find that  once WD set in, They stay, The every 4 hour plan is so that WD dont set in and you wont WANT to reach for extra pills to drive them away. It sounds like you are fed up and ready to be clean that is the attititude you must have. But dont go to fast. you get the worst of both worlds. you get the long time of a taper with all the WD of CT. Taper is slow and study. let me repeat. If you stay slow how you feel right now is the worst that you will feel. Give it time let your body adjust to your new dose. You did not get a 35 Pill a day habit in a week you will not get rid of it with a taper in a wekk neither. let your head clear up and you will start thinking better day by day. Taper is not for alot of peeps. It may not be for you, If you go to fast you'll defeat the whole purpose. It may not be quick enough. If ya cant wait Go CT, Thier is nothing wrong with CT. I believe if you have the will and the want, You will find a way. YOU WILL NOT FAIL YOU CAN DO THIS.....YOU WILL GET YOUR LIFE BACK Before you know it Tommorrow is here.

4-8-12 round the clock
72 hours (min)
dose down (5mg per 4)
4-8-12 round the clock
72 hours
dose down etc etc

Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
I was taking 6-10 Vicodin/percaset/or oxy a day for 2 years. So about 60-100mgs a day. I have tapered down to 3 pills a day and am staying there till after my wedding then i will decide to either taper further or go on a quick Suboxone taper.  Earlier this year I had tapered down to just 5mgs a day.. then I broke my toes.. went back up to 6pills a day to manage pain while working. Now I am back down to 3.  
Do you need to take 20 pills to not go into WD?? Was the 25-30 getting you high??  Just curious cause I know for me when I was taking 10 I didn't need 10 to keep me "normal" so when i started tapering I started at the level where I wouldn't get sick.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.