Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

ANY SUGGESTIONS WITH IRON???

OK, does anyone have any advise on what to do about an upset stomach while starting an Iron supplement???

for those of you who dont know my story, i had 2 bleeding ulcers 2 weeks ago, lost 7 pints of blood, needed a blood transfusion and am currently recovering. i went to see my dr. today, i've had a low grade fever, low blood pressure, extreme fatigue and just found out i have tracardia (sp?) which is a racing heart beat. up until today my dr. didnt want me taking Iron, cause its hard on my stomach which is still healing. today he told me i needed to start an Iron supplement ASAP that now it's benifits outweigh its risks. Sooo i ate a salad for lunch and took my Iron pill (it says to take with food) and ever since lunch i've had an upset stomach. I'm sure its from the Iron. So there's my long dilema, LOL....how am i supposed to keep taking the Iron (which my dr. says is important) if its soooo hard on my stomach. I've just been laying around all afternoon feeling sick to my stomach. oh ya, i'm suppose to take it 3 times a day!!!!! heck, by the time my tummy stops "rolling around" it will be time to take it again!!! does anyone know if there anything i can eat that might help me tolerate the Iron better??? i have to check w/ my dr. before taking ANY meds even the OTC ones. so i'm hoping theres something i can eat to help...

ANY suggestions are appreciated...

luv ya,
tink  :)
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i pretty sure your heart racing is from not having your pills,my heart raced like crazy when i was in w/ds,they lasted about a week then they left[just as long as the w/ds]it comes from your body wanting opiates and your not putting any in your body,so your body gets nervious and excited and thats why your heart is racing.i dont think you have a med proplem.id have to say we all had the heart racing when we quit pain meds,they proply stopped as soon as you started your pain meds.im no doc but id say youll live thats all part of the w/ds.i think all that are clean now will tell you samething
Helpful - 0
Gravel....lol....she must have mistyped that. At least I HOPE she did! lol
I do know one thing...you aren't supposed to drink milk or take any dairy products when you are taking that little red iron pill. ferrous sulfate, right? Thats the iron pill they gave me when I was pregnant, and I always took it with a big ol glass of milk, and a grilled cheese. BUT my iron levels were still way low. So finally my doc asked me if I was taking it with milk, and I told him I was...he laughed and told me that MILK and dairy products actually cancel out the iron pill, so it was like I wasn't even taking the pill. Go figure.
How ya been doing, miss tink? :)

love
jen
Helpful - 0
did you say GRAVEL??? as in the gravel on the road???

Girl....my tummy hurts but not enough eat the ground, lol

you know i love you sweety....

luv ya,
tink :)
Helpful - 0
WELL, WELL,WELL.....SHE LIVES!!!!!!!

girl i've been wondering about you!!!!! i know you've been working alot. i'm okay, still really tired and now i'm having a problem with my heart racing. so we'll see. did you know my girls will be here in 8 DAYS?????

i'm soooo excited.....how have you been???

luv ya,
tink :)
Helpful - 0
Hey tink

Try eating foods that are rich and iron .........and take a very limitted dose........Gravel helps out too.....and of course the green teas........

Beans, Liver, heart........That stuff has alot of iron....

cant really caht now just know you are in my thoughts and prayers....

love you

C
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.