Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Lortab Withdrawal

My girlfriends grandmother who is 77 has been on Lortab for 3 years now because of medical conditions.  She recently had back surgery to repair a disc in her back and had to get 4 vertibre(spelling?) fused.  They did not know she was on Lortab for this long and took her off of them cold turkey.  She was vomiting, spasming, etc.  Now she seems as though she is not all there.  Initially they thought she was putting on a act to get more lortabs because of the trauma she was going through, but now the problem seems to be more serious than that.  My question is that I know one of the side affects of Lortab withdrawal is a increase in blood pressure.  Is it possible that she could have had a minor stroke being that she is relatively old and is overweight?  The doctors don't seem to know what they are doing and they seem to suggest that there is no way this could have happened even though they have not run any test.  Also, she is in a nursing home so that might be why the doctors are not doing what I think they should be.  They just say maybe she has dementia.  I am just curious to whether this could be a real possiblility with the withdrawals or am I just over-reacting?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
352798 tn?1399298154
Look in the Health Pages right side of page. Look for the Thomas Recipe. It will help you to cold turkey quit. Take a week off from work and get your life back. Also, this is an old post and if you need more. Start a new post at top of page.
Helpful - 0
585253 tn?1218806821
I am trying to find a discreet way to safely detox from Lortab in the privacy of my own home but can't find any resources.  Does anyone have any info that can help?  I have been taking 7.5mg 3-4x daily for 3 years.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
If you feel your concerns about her treatment or lack of treatment are a major concern I would push for a second opinion.. Her age and how healthy she is will be a huge factor of the withdrawl. People who are elderly or unhealthy have more risks associted with withdrawl. Get her another doc if possible to at least have a look at her..
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.