Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
202347 tn?1189755825

lil rab

Thank you for your post yesterday! Often people on here misunderstand me when I speak of quitting c/t and tapering. It is not that I tell anyone to never go the c/t route, I have plenty of patients of my own that do it but I cannot ethically advise them to do so. I am well aware of the many doctors that say c/t will not do any damage whatsoever, and some of the traditional treatment centers that use c/t as their first step to treatment and doctors who tell you that you just have to suffer through it. There are also tons of doctors who take patients off of benzodiazepines cold turkey that don't mention the risks to their helth. Taking a petients off of benzo's c/t is not only unethical but highly illegal. Quitting benzos c/t can cause seizures, strokes, and can be fatal yet many doctors do it anyway. My point is that these types of things happen all the time and being a part of the medical community I see it a lot. My knowledge of the possible dangers of quitting opiates c/t is not just from books and lecture and journals, I have participated in this research first hand and c/t can cause permanent cardiopulmonary damage and can cause permanent damage to the central nervous system. Taking 3-400mg of oxys per day in certain cases can be safer than quitting c/t b/c your body has had time to build up a tolerance to that amount of medication. When you suddenly take a medication from your body it can cause just as much "shock" and damage to the body as suddenly giving it 3-400mg of oxys if you have little tolerance for opiates.  PAWS symptoms can last up to 10 years with opiates as a redult of parts of the ody trying to repair itself-not always successfully. Paws  symptoms for alcohol dependency (c/t w/d extremely dangerous as often fatal)last 1-2 years. Whatever I say in this forum people can take it or leave it, no one in here is my patient so I am not responsible for the posts than anyone chooses to act on or not. The terms of agreement in joining this forum is that these posts are opinions of individuals not to be sunstituted for the advice of your own physician. I have looked at the brains and spinal cords, lungs, intestines, hearts of people addicted to opiates post mortem who stopped c/t vs. those who tapered vs. those who didn't take opiates and have seen the damage up close and personal under a microscope with my own eyes so I will never advise going c/t but we are all adults and make out own choices and I am very supportive of those who are going c/t and not attempting to change their minds. I have thrown tapering out as a suggestion or asked if they have ever tried it to people who are having a really bad time doing it and desperate for help b/c the comfortt meds werent helping or they weren't able to function at work or with kids but if you look at my posts to people  going c/t I have always been very encouraging to them. The reason I told road2recovery that I was concerned and wanted her to talk to her doctor is because she felt like something was really wrong and didn't think she should be going c/t right after a surgery and almost dying from losing so much blood during surgery. In the post I made it clear to her that opiate w/d is very rarely poses an immediate threat unless you are unhealthy or the body is in bad condition. The people that do die from opiate w/d are usually very unhealthy people so I am going to be concerned about someone who's body is in really bad shape and is in c/t w/d. I really hope it doesn't sound like I am on the offensive just as your post was not offensive or rude. I just know that some people here perceive that I often am when I'm not trying to be. I'm not upset or anything I'm just explaining why I get concerned about going c/t and how it is often misunderstood that I am completely against anyone ever going c/t and try to talk them out of it. There are several people who have asked me about it b/c by reading one post or reply to a post it might come across that I am totally against it and want to change their mind when that is not the case. I hope this post is taken in the spirit it was intended b/c I really enjoy talking with you and I get a lot from all of you guys here on the forum as well.

xoxo- D.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
No, I don't take any of that offensive either.  I just know that everyone here or at least alot of people here take everything you say seriously because you do know alot of helpful things that people look to you for advice including myself.  Thank you for clearing that up.  No, it wasn't to roadtorecovery, it was a couple of posts quite a while back.  I understand your point of view also, but in my opinion and it's just that, my opinion, it's alot healthier to go c/t than it is taking 400-500mg of oxys and hydrocodone.  It was very dangerous what I was doing to my body and it's definitely healthier to quit c/t than to do what I was doing to my body.  Thank you for the helpful advice though.  I really appreciate you clearing that up.  I hope you have a wonderful day, and I also enjoy your posts and replies to me, thank you very much.  Take care and god bless, hugz, Lil.  :)
Helpful - 0
202347 tn?1189755825
It's no problem at all! How long ago did you stop taking oxys?

xoxo- D.
Helpful - 0
I still quit for a couple of days, then take a few, quit for a couple of days, then take a few.  It's a never ending battle.  I've tried tapering but I just wind up taking more, I've tried c/t which has actually led me to not doing more than a few at a time cuz I don't wanna go through the hell of that ever again lol...  I haven't tried outpatient cuz I feel too embarrassed to go down there and I haven't tried suboxone because at this point there is no need to if I'm only taking a few pills at a time... I just can't get past not taking them at all yet. About 2 or 3 days later, after not having any, I get really bad anxiety attacks to where my heart palpitates it's so bad, so I've been taking one ativan at night for sleep.  I can't seem to shake the few pills that I take every few days.  I don't know why, it's like an old friend that I don't wanna let go yet all the way. :(  Any suggestions? Hugz, Lil.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.