Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

calling the dr today

ok, i decided to call my dr today .i am scared as hell, i dont know what to say or do.i dont know how to go about telling him and what if he just cuts me off and i have to go cold turkey? i have a 2 year old home with me all day ,and an 8 and 10 year old who needs me. i cant be sick, i have no help at all.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i also wanted to say, that there is no one who knows about this except my b/f and he just moved , i am hoping to joinging him july 1 but i wont, if i am still doing this. i cant tell anyone because they wont understand and i have been a heavy drinker for the past couple of years also
Helpful - 0
he should not cut you off...But then if he does do you have any left that you can taper or take when it gets bad to take care of your kids??
poor you, i wish i lived close to you i would defintely help you., in any way..Cause i know how hard it is..
good luck
people here will give you great advice.
Helpful - 0
thanks for the reply, i am waiting for them to call me back. i only have 3 pills left and i am so tempted to take one now, but i am trying not to. if they cut me off,i am screwed. i am deathly afraid to tell them., i wish you where here also to help me.
Helpful - 0
so you're gonna tell your dr. today??? are you planning on going in for an office visit? i see you said you were calling him. i would highly recommend doing it at an office visit, not over the phone. a little advise for you, i told my dr. a couple of months ago. So when you go in, be honest with him, but be careful how you word what you tell him. I would suggest telling him that you feel you are becomeing to dependant on your pain meds, find yourself taking more that he prescibes and when you dont have any you get sick with w/d's. That you're coming to him because you want to try and get off the meds, but dont want to just "stop" because you find you get sick when you do. tell him that you want to be honest with him about this situation and would like his help in tapering down off the meds. that maybe he can help you cut down at a safe pace that wont interupt your life.  this is exactly how i put it to my dr.

The reason i'm telling you this is because alot of dr's who arent "addiction dr's" are much more likely to get "nervous" when you tell them your a straight up addict. the worry about liability and things and are leary of helping. so becarefull how you word it to him. i'm not suggesting that you lie to him, actually the exact opposite. be completely honest, just try not to come across as an "addict" per say. my dr. and i made an agreement when i told him i wanted his help getting off of my pain meds. i have to use only one pharamacy and of course only see him. i also told the pharmacist that i use about my situation and what my dr. and i planned to do. they have also been very helpful

all dr's are very aware of potential abuse and addiction to opiates. they are used to pt's coming in and looking for pills. you may be surprised at how happy he will be to have a pt. come in and being honest with him. my dr. actually told me that "i was a breath of fresh air" and he could see my sincereness to want help and appreciated my honesty. please let us know what happens, k?

good luck...

tink  :)
Helpful - 0
i tottaly agree with tink, what how you word it..And i do think he will give you enough to taper..i am trying to taper now, and whenever i feel almost full w/d's i take a small peice to take the edge off..Right now i am taking half or what i use to with little w/d's to none..BUT call  your doctor..Let us know how that goes
good luck
Helpful - 0
176495 tn?1301280412
Yes, call and visit your doctor and lay it all out to him/her.  I did with mine a few months
ago and it went well.  Unfortunately, I have to do it again next week.  I think I'm more mentally prepared to give these things up now.

But sit down with him/her and come up with a plan to get off them

Best of luck

bg
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.