Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
204468 tn?1285272124

Digging deeper into the addiction

I have been in recovery now for almost 28 days c/t.  I set aside time daily to focus on my addiction/dependence on Lortab and how I have gotten to this place in my life.  A friend I met in this forum suggested that I get the book called, "End Your Addiction Now" written by Charles Gant, MD, PhD.  After starting to read this book, I am amazed at how our bodies truly function and how I have abused it for so many years, not only thru pills, but through other things as well.

The pain from fibromyalgia, TMJ and chronic back pain due to being "heavily endowed" was what set in motion this roller coaster ride for me, plus several major dental procedures over the years.  At the end of the track, I found myself "addicted".

The book talks about our biochemistry and how we can beat addiction by taking care of our bodies nutritionally.  This stuff is amazing.

The questions I ask myself are: What is the underlying cause of me wanting to use?  What are my trigger points?  Stress, control, depression, kids, finances.  My body is not healthy to tackle all of this.  I think we addicts should try really hard to focus on ourselves in a postive way when it comes to recovery.  My theory is: Addiction is a journey, not a destination.

This book tells what can be done to make recovery more permanent in the addicts life.  It has been said many times in this forum that getting clean and being off pills is one thing, but mentally staying off the pills is another.  I truly think this book is a second start for me now that I have stopped abusing Lortab.

The people here are very encouraging and have given me alot of insight to my addiction.  For that I am so grateful.  Will continue this post below..runnin out of characters...lol
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
204468 tn?1285272124
My family has been so supportive in my recovery process.  For those who do not have that, I am truly sorry.  I couldn't imagine going without a support group.  (I haven't done NA or any other outside groups, however I am considering it).  Jesus Christ My Savior has been my constant source of help.

In the days ahead, I plan to dig into this addiction thing and find out what I need to do to make my body and mind healthy in order to stay clean.

I am still under Dr.s care and he is aware of my addiction.  Hubby went with me and we talked about a serious bout I had with my TMJ and hubby is in control of the meds now.  AND HE IS A BULL!!! Which I am so grateful for.  I did have a bout on Sunday, and he administered 1/2 of a 10MG Lortab to me along with flexeril the Dr prescribed.  I am not afraid because I now am aware of what the "monsters" have and will continue to do if "I" continue to abuse them.  

I am just trying to say, please, to all who struggle like we do everyday, please give this nutrition thing a chance.  I am a smoker and I take prozac.  The book even talks about how to end the addiction of smoking and possibly being able to come off the prozac with a healthy mind and body.

I pray for us who are suffering this disease.  I pray for the ones who have to endure this struggle with us.  Do they deserve this? No, but out of love and compassion, they walk beside us and hold our hands.

I can't wait to get healthy again!!!!

Until Then,
LL
Helpful - 0
204468 tn?1285272124
I need to clarify that this book is for everyone, whether Day 1 getting clean or being 25 yrs clean.  I wish I would have had it in the days before getting off my meds so I could have been prepared.  It says that addiction can be overcome with little to no wd's.

until then,,,
LL
Helpful - 0
204468 tn?1285272124
My theory should have read: RECOVERY is a journey, not a destination!!!  Wow...guess my mind is more screwed up than I thought it was.  Have a great night all....
Helpful - 0
well by all means type out the parts the tell how to do it without withdrawls..
Helpful - 0
204468 tn?1285272124
visit the website to get more info.

powerrecovery.com

Like I said before, I wish I had this info on Day 1 of my recovery.  As my recovery friend told me, "Stock up on those amino acids".

It is entirely too much info to type out.  Getting the book, in my opinion, will be well worth it.  It only cost me $16 which included mailing.

Until Then,
LL

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.