Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Vicoden Addiction

I was in a very bad car accident almost 10 years ago (when I was only 18 years old), which I ended up having surgeryx3 for. Since that time, I've been taking Vicoden on a regular basis everyday. Now I am up to almost 10 per day. Here's the thing I don't understand. A couple of times I've run out before being able to pick up my prescription from the pharmacy and it seems like my back (which is where I had surgery) is in 10 times more pain than it was BEFORE I started taking the surgery. How normal is that??

I know I'm heavily addicted to this drug, but at the same time I don't know if I truly wanna get off of it. The doctor's have told me with the condition my back is in, I'll probably be on them for the rest of my life. Are there any alternatives that could possibly help someone with a back as bad as mine?
Thanks for your time!
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well, your comment kinda threw me for a loop... but I get your point. Thanks everyone. I will consider everyone's help. It's greatly appreciated.
Helpful - 0
LOL...don't get me wrong, I have all kinds of respect for people who practice yoga. I'm more or less just making fun of the misconception that yoga is just for women and old folks. That's why I said, "as sissiified as it sounds...".

Helpful - 0
My dad had back surgery too a couple of years ago and has a host of issues related to the pain....but I would have to agree..the persistant taking of the medications and the withsrawl of the high is making matters worse and masking the  two real issues...your pain and your addiciton. Obviously you are aware of the addicitopn, but the steps to get over it have to be figured out and attempted by you. Once you are clean and thinking with a clear mind and from another perspective, you can then begin to address your pain maybe in a more suitable way even if yoga is it.....

Good luck and best wishes
Helpful - 0
I had to laugh at your comment....Yoga...sissified?  Ain't nothing sissy about some of those positions!!!! Ouch!!!!!! I am amazed at the balance and dexterity of some of the "old time" Yoga gurus (for lack of a better word)!  It's purpose is to strengthen you inner core and increase flexibility of the spine and basically all the body which in turn support your back....Flabby muscles, weak back = pain/herniations/etc.  It really is a great option for back pain.  I used to think it sounded hokey too LOL....til I tried it! I love it now!
Helpful - 0
ok that had me laughing too, the 'advil'..part..motrin..not if your motrin is prescription strength...800mgs which you can go up that much otc if you want to. it won't kill ya.. some it works for some it dont..its my crutch for a few days here..and since im telling my dumb butt its working its going too:D..oh and i thought about it..and since this is like the flu..only 100 times more hurtful, why not take flu med..help kill the pain a LITTLE, if its got actemetophine you can take motrin too..and the sudophedrine will (with some) knock ya out..some it just wires ya up..but maybe just maybe..nyquil..i watched my spouse drink that stuff like water back 10 yrs ago for his coke habit..when he'd run out..and to knock himself out..he'd drink that...prolly oding on it..but it would just knock him out for 2 days straight..and then he was ok..didnt know he was hurting that bad..or hed just stay totally drunk ...which ya know i tried that during one of my wd's..lol..i just got some vodka..and stayed snockered all day long..threw the worst day...day 3 i think it was..and by the next mornign it wasnt nearly as bad..just had a hangover haha..which to me was the lesser of two evils, and i think today..if i had just kept GOING!...but no the energy thing got me..as soon as wd's had kinda lessened, my loverly spouse goes..ok thats enough..heres the kids..im all NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..keep them..i can't handle 4 wild kids today...just go play with them or stay home..hes self employed and it irriitates me that he won't just STAY home and let me be ..but today im actually thankful for it..i have my 4 yr old home..i CAN"T just go to bed and cry..i have to eat breakfast with her, and play with her...and all the while im going (in my head of course)...shut up your voice is making me nutz..ok yeah i went off about myself again..sorry..frankly im gonna take any and everything i think is gonna help...as long as its not HYDRO..i kinda wondered do people actually kinda suffer from no tylenol inyour system.? If you think about it..we are oding ourselves on that stuff everyday by over taking the meds..i do notice if i take tyenol and motrin im not as bad off..whatcha think.
Helpful - 0
The pain when you're not taking your meds is normal. Probably a combo of 2 things...1) withdrawals. You will hurt ALL OVER when in withdrawals, and I've noticed my foot, my reason for being on the meds, hurts worse than normal too. 2) You are on drugs because you have legitimate reasons to be on them...your back. That's why the pain is there when you're not on your meds.

I believe that to be very normal. This is why so many here talk about withdrawals. As great as the pain meds can be, whether you're taking them for the "high" or for for actual pain relief, the down is incredible!. Some won't even try to quit because the withdrawals are so bad.

As far as alternatives, read through the posts on this board. Of course, you can try OTC drugs like motrin and advil. I always crack up at the advil and whatnot TV ads as the people act like those drugs actually do anything. Maybe it's just me, but they won't even get rid of a headache!

You could also try pt, if you haven't. And there is aways yoga, as sissified as that sounds. Alot of folks swear by it.

Good luck!

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.