Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
I just finished reading your post from the other day in missy joells thread. And WOW, it's really like some just will not read the posts in full. The people here that are tapering c/t I encourage when they are in need of help to stay strong and NOT take the meds. (I said this in the other post and can be seen throughout the forum) I am going to give the facts to people who ask and a lot of people ask. "I do not constantly throw my credentials out there" I reply to those who ask if I am or what I do for a living. Because of the depth of info. most people assume I am in the field and want to know what I do and what my credentials are so I respond. Just the same when people have asked to see studies and articles and pro and con, I have posted these things when asked. So when you say that you have never seen anyone call me a liar it is b/c you have not read all of the posts (who has time to read every post? I get that). I am well aware of the difference in someone asking me about what I do or medical info. and blatantly being called a liar and as CATUF said in the thread, yes he called me a liar in those words. One other person did the same on a couple of occasions. Anyone asking questions and wanting to know ertain things to "back up" the credentials they asked about has always happily been answered (even though I have no obligation to do so in an internet forum where people should take what they want and leave what they want)
Even being a fact that I have no obligation, I have still never had this attitude toward those who simply asked about info. they wanted. Just as it is a fact that c/t can do permanent damage, and though I have no obligation to inform those here of that I still do b/c I feel people going c/t turkey should know what the risks are. However, at the same time, there is plenty of room for misunderstanding when the fats are being given vs. me trying to change someone's mind about c/t and those misunderstandings have been clarified for those who asked b/c they misunderstood. If someone has already chosen to go c/t, often they ask for info. about permanent damage risks which I give, but I still support them and encourage them in what they are doing. And I wouldn't call it doctor bashing when often times the doctors I talk about are people I know personally and I say the same things to their face and they don't take it like that. What I have done is inform people of their rights as patients if their doctor has put them at risk. Many people here have been taken off of benzos suddenly by their doctor with absolutely no info from the doc about the risks. Taking a pt. off of benzos without tapering them or telling them how to taper and with how much is mal pratice, very illegal b/c the doctor is literally putting their life at risk and is liable for what happens to their patient.

As for the peer reviewed articles and info that has been asked for, I took the time to give it several times. Articles that I have written, and research that I have done would not be appropriate to throw out into an internet forum, that would be throwing out my full name, the institution, where I work, things that are connected to personal information.(this is not only inappropriate it is also in violation of the terms and conditions of this forum) I have given articles to a couple of peple here that I talk to in private and I have given info. from research and articles that I have written. Other than that I have gone and found peer reviewed articles (to me, as a professional, there is no other kind. I have never given any merit to articles that are not peer reviewed.) I have posted them here when asked several times. It takes time to stop and get articles that have researched the same things I have and articles that give both sides of the info. Often I have had to scan these into my comp. and copy and paste b/c they are unavailable online. And these articles are written in a way that no one who didn't major in chemistry and/ or physics would be able to understand, so I had to cut and paste some things and fill in the blanks or find more reader friendly articles. Most people here appreciate it for being as generous as it really is just as I feel the same about them being here.

When I say that tapering is always better, always. I'm saying it is always  better on the body(this is not opinion, this is fact). Opiates effect quite a few parts of the body, and the withdrawal will effect those body parts. Opiates effect other neurotransmitters so w/d will effect those too. These are just 2 examples of the things that opiate w/d will effect and this is very hard on the body. When you say you want pros and cons, when it comes to this particular topic, the only contradiction does not come from actual research but simple speculation of what one doctor thinks vs. what other doctors and professionals think. I have offered cold hard proof and explanations on many occassions here and have done it happily in response to those who ask. Like I have said I have some patients of my own who quit c/t. They are adults and I cannot make their decisions for them, but just like I support the people here going c/t, I support my patients who are going c/t. And no I cannot ethically advise them to quit cold turkey. First of all I would not do it anyway b/c I would be advising a patient to do something risky and damaging to their body and I am legally liable for that. Second, there are lots of state licensing laws and regulations and ethics codes, and rules, and I could go on and on so when I say I CANNOT ethically advise them to go c/t I mean just that, I cannot. If they choose to do it on their own after knowing the risks, that's fine and I support them in recovery.

I have not told anyone here or outside of here who is in w/d to go ahead and take a pill. As I said in the post the other day, for those who are wanting to quit and want info. on their options I give them info. For those, however, who are already in w/d b/c they have already decided to go c/t and are in recovery I have not ever told them to take their meds unless they were in real danger and that was only one person who is thanking me to this day for it b/c her body was not in good shape, she was hot healthy and for patients who are not healthy c/t from opiates can be fatal! I am not just going to sit back and let that happen without informing them of their risks. Other than that particular person, I have encouraged those in c/t w/d to stay strong, and that they will get through it. Speaking of c/t risks to them is because they have asked me to provide them with info on that or tapering, suboxone, or methadone. And I simply give them the info requested, just the facts, I do not preach at anyone to stop their recovery and taper.

I hope this clarifies some things, and I hope it is read as intended, not to be offensive. It should just already be known here that I have given all of this info. that you said I should be giving to "back up" my credentials even though I do not have to do so here. And it should be known here that I don't throw out credentials, I give info in response to posts and naturally pretty much everyone asks for my degrees and line of work on separate occasions and I tell them, but I do not just list my resume randomly in posts. I am not here for that, I just want to give and get support and any info. I can, It's just that I am not going to be offended by everyone wanting to know about my work, I have no problem telling them or answering questions about it.

xoxo- D.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Point taken!  I, for one will move on and hopefully be able to support others as we all want to do! I get very passionate about my recovery and do apologize if I misunderstood.  I guess my perception of what you have said is different than what your intention is.  It is so very hard when we are not face to face,  unfortunately my perception is my reality as yours is yours.  I'll not bring it up again but will move ahead.

BTW, I do read your posts quite thoroughly and HAVE said you have some really great information.

I also wanted to let you know how very sorry I am for your loss!  I'm an L&D nurse and have been (unfortunately) with several fetal demises over the years!  Even though it is not my own child, it takes me days to get over these losses and I still cry at every one! It is not just a job to me and I thank God for that...but it never gets easier to see a young family go through this agony!  I am so blessed to have 4 healthy children and cannot imagine the pain!  Each child is truly a gift from God.

Peace,
Marcie
Helpful - 0
202347 tn?1189755825
LOL that's funny you say that b/c I said the exact same thing to hellc last week "it it hard to tell sometimes when we are not face to face" And thank you for understanding and your kind words. My grandmother (my mom's mom) was an ob/gyn @ UCLA and she delivered me. I always knew when my grandmother had lost one. She never seemed distraught (the English rarely do seem to have any emotion) but I could always tell that look in her eyes. Especially since my mom was a twin and her twin died at birth. I love my grandmother so much for who she is and what she did (you are truly appreciated) I unfortunately lost my grandmother when I was 7, almost 8 years old, but I really did cherish every day I had with her she was so wonderful. At times when she took me to work with her I remember her being so close with the nurses and really treating them like colleagues and friends, some doctors don't treat nurses that way and I hate to see that, I have friends that treat nurses that way and I can't stand it. They have this "holier than thou God complex" as if the nurses and other people working at the hospital are not just as crucial. I have been accused of coming across that way here in the forum and in life but once people get to know mw better they see that it is never my intention to come across that way b/c inside I could not be more opposite. Anyhow, before I start rambling again too much thanks for your post and again, you are greatly appreciated!

xoxo- D.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.