Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

How to taper off 100-120mg of hydro a day?

I am new to these boards and I am interested in quitting my pill addiction because it is time. I have tried ct and just cannot deal with the pain so I am planning to taper off like you suggested. My only question to you is this: I am taking 100mg hydro a day, sometimes 120mg but more like 10 pills (10mg each) and I know you mentioned dividing the number of pills by the hours in the day but since I can usually sleep through the night, I do not plan on waking up to take the dose needed. Should I take more during my waking hours to equal my total pill intake or what? I usually take them as follows: 3 in the morning so I can be well, and then 4 more twice throughout the day. Usually by 2 or 3pm I will take 4 and then again before bed around 9 or 10 I will take 4 more. I know that equals 11 so sometimes I take 3 at night. I sort of depends. I am trying to watch my intake of APAP so I even go so far as to cut them with a cold water extraction. I know, it's gotten bad and I am getting scared. No one knows that I take these pills regularly. I am afraid to say anything. I just want to be free of them. I find myself thinking about the pills ALL DAY LONG. I do know what wd feels like so I am so afraid of that. I have restless legs as it is and it becomes unbearable when I am going ct. I do have a script for Klonopin that I NEVER take. I got it a lonf time ago because of my ridiculous and irrational fear of flying. I am not a big fan of the way they make me feel but I have read on here that they can help me as well. If you can help me in any way, I would so appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks so much. This is the first time I have ever told anyone about my addition. It feels interesting to admit I actually do have a problem. Wow.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Get a pill cutter and take three and a half instead of four... then in a few days or a week go to three etc...

I may not be the best to tell you what to do but I got off a 5mg fentanyl patch by cutting it smaller and smaller over about a three week period. I was relying on vicoprofen while doing it and now am tapering off the vicoprofen. Last week I was taking two V when I got up, two in a couple of hours and two around dinner, one at bedtime. For a week or so it would wake me up in the night and I would chew up one and be back asleep in 15 minutes. That didn't last but about a week or 10 days. Yesterday I went from 2 pills at a time to 1 1/2, using the pill cutter. Today I went to 1 pill at a time and it is making me feel bad. I am cold, sweating and getting chills but i am going to stick with it for a day. If it is still a problem I will go back to 1 1/2 for a week and then back to one every four waking hours...

I hope this helps. I don't really know what to expect when I completely get off this stuff. I have been on narcotics of some kind for 10 years but I am tired if it and getting off.

You can do it. I would suggest doing it slow... if you are going to taper, why make it painful? Get the pill cutter and do it slow but commit yourself and don't look back. You are stronger than it is!

J
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
Take the amount you are taking per day. Take them at even doses while you are awake. So say thats four hours.. take however many at say 8am then 12 then 4 then 8 then 12 ect... the next day take them 20 min later. So 4 hours and 20min apart. Next day 4 hours and 40 min. By doing this you keep a steady stream of the drug in your system. Keep spreading them 20 min apart more each day. After a few days you will have your doses close enough to where you drop a whole pill.. Its a slow taper but slow and steady wins the race in this sort of thing.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.