Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

COULD I HAVE AN ADDICTION PROBLEM?

I currently take alpralozam .5 twice daily for anxiety and also my heart races especially when I have to take my hpertension medication. I have noticed that when I forget to take the alpralozam I have started getting sick and disoreintated and I recently started getting tremors and just shaking all over my body. I have been on the alpralozam for two years and I take two .5mg pills together around noon every day. I am wondering if I  am dope sick from the alpralozam when I miss a dose? I get really sick feeling and start shaking. What can I do to get off this medicine now and what alternatives could I take? I want to approach my doctor about it and I know the medicine helps me alot. In my case it literally turns off the constante anxiety and nervousness and allows me to function and stops the heart from racing.I don't feel doped up at all. I now it helps me , I am now just wondering if I could be addicted and if so, what should I do?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Gosh, it certainly sounds to me that you could be addicted to this drug.  I only take Xanax probably twice a month since I started having panic attacks following the death of my husband.  I don't like the sleepy feeling I get with it, so I try to not take it much.  I have worked for doctors my entire adult life and I will tell you one thing I know for sure - being addicted to Xanax is very very serious and you never want to stop it cold turkey or without a doctor's advice.  I know a lady personally who died trying to stop Xanax cold turkey.  At the very least, you would probably have seizures.  Another lady here who I believe has a lot of experience with Xanax is DuchessGolden, she is also a medical professional and a lot of people on this forum practically worship her.  I have never spoke to her myself but I remember reading that she used to have issues with Xanax.  I would not think that just taking the dose you are on would turn into an addiction but your symptoms seem to say otherwise.  I am very sorry you are having this to deal with now, I really am.  Please keep us informed on what is going on in your life.  We are all here to help.

Love, Cindy
Helpful - 0
Go to this website http;//benzo.org.uk/        It is a great site about Benzodiazepines. I too was on xanax for 9 years at two milligrams a day. taken at night. It seems you are having interdose withdrawls. I never had those, just took my dose at 7 in the evening every night. But I did run out once and it was hell. I switched over to taper on Valium which has a much much longer half liffe in the blood system. so you dont have those reactions in between. Just check out the site and see what you think.  Get back to me on your opinions.                                elvistcb
Helpful - 0
Xanax, Valium and other benzodiazipines (klonopin, ativan, etc) are all HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. Yes they are physically addictive just like opiates. Thanks, drug companies. Unfortunately, most non addictive options are ineffective, or cause worse problems, like diabetes. see http://www.seroquel-suit.com. I use GABA, a healthy, natural amino acvid that reduces anxiety and is similar to benzos.

My forum  http//:www.methline.com
Helpful - 0
Yep, unfortunately, xanax is extremely addictive, even at such a low dose, and even if taken for a short period of time.  I have very personal experience with a physical dependency on lorazepam/ativan (not xanax, but a cousin benzo).  Had been taking it for a few years at .5 mg at night, then gradually increased dosage to 2 mg at night (for insomnia), per my neurologist.  I had no idea at the time that it was "addictive"......until I ran out once and couldn't get to my doctor due to a recent surgery and decided "oh well, I just won't take it for awhile".......and went through h--- for about 3 days.  Bad, bad time.  That's when I found this forum.  Anyway, it definitely is possible to taper off of any benzo appropriately, just not c/t.  However, it sounds like you're really taking it for valid medical purposes (not that that's going to alleviate any possible physical dependency or addiction.....but it doesn't sound like you're abusing it at this point).  If you think you may be becoming dependent upon it, I'd talk to your doctor about it.  Whatever you do, DON'T go off of it c/t, even at such a low dose.  Hope this helps.  Good luck to you!!!  ~K.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.