Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

OXY addiction - PLEASE HELP!

I have been addicted to oxycodone for about 2 years. Over the last 2 months I have weened myself down from 75mg delivered IV to one 7.5mg hydrocodone pill per day. I am having a relative easy transition to this level. My question, to anyone that knows, will I feel the full blown effects of the oxy addiction after I take my last hydro pill?
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
177036 tn?1192286635
How long have you been taking just, "one?"
Helpful - 0
I'm no expert, but I don't see how you can avoid the withdrawal symptoms. I've only been on hydrocodone for 2 months and I experience w/d by the third dose if I stretch the time between doses for an extra hour! And, I only take 3 pills a day! It's taken me 3 weeks just to stretch it from 6 to 7 hrs. It usually starts with nausea, headache, then severe abdominal pain. Soon, you won't be able to leave the bathroom.

The last time I tried to get off hydrocodone, I went cold turkey and was incredibly sick for 2 full days, then just really sick for 3 more. After the 5th day, I started improving. Unfortunately, a few weeks later, I had more surgery and more pills! Now I'm back where I started.

You should talk to your doctor before going c/t. From what I have read here and at other sites about the drug, c/t can cause permanent damage to your central nervous system.

Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
For me I did it the easier softer way in a detox that believed in that.  Please read some of my comments fron 5/22 to present.
Helpful - 0
I think that stopping cold turkey will cause withdrawals, but the withdrawals from only one a day will be nothing compared to the guys/girls on here who were taking ten, twenty, and more a day. I am totally not minimizing what you'll go through, just trying to make you feel better and let you know that you are in a much better place to stop than others, as far as the discomfort of w/d! At the risk of sounding like a cheerleading squad, you can do it! Make your decision as to when to stop, muster up all the strength you have, and do it! You can! Alot of us have, and those here that haven't, well, they can do it too when they are ready! It is so hard, I know, and scary, but I'd be willing to bet that your w/d will not be totally horrible ( just a little horrible, lol...just joking!)
Helpful - 0
fishmeal,

I have been on one pill only for about 5 days. There is a dramatic difference in 75 mg of oxy injected into a vein as opposed only to only 7.5 mg of hydrocodone. I have read your prior comments and find them wise and helpful.

EA, you are star cheerleader. Thank you as well.

Another serious delima is when I visit my physician next week and walk out with a prescription for 150 Oxycodones - not time released. But I guess that would be a more appropriate conversation God and me.
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
I did answer in another post.  All I can say is let's see what tomorrow brings.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.