Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

addicted to Vicodin

My husband is addicted to vicodin, but I can't get him to admit he has a problem.  I want to direct him toward help since I know he can't stop on his own.  It just seems to risky to send him to a hospital to detox.  I am afraid he will lose his job being off to complete a program or his ex will find out when she wants to send the kids over.  I understand waiting will only make the problem worse.  I am at a loss for where to begin.  Any suggestions for how to get him to make a move away from this pill that has stolen my usually very happy husband?  I also work full-time and we have a very young son at home, so his being gone would be hard.  I think he has been using for about 14 months and I have no idea how many.  I know he is evil on these things, he flips personality like Dr. Jerkyl and Mr. Hyde before your eyes.  Should he see his regular Doctor?  Is there anything that she could prescribe to block the opiates?  How successful are people at getting rid of this drug from their lives?  I am reading a lot of stories in the archives of people struggling and suffering.....did they make it out?
Thank you for listening.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you for your advice, with the long weekend approaching, I though it would be a chance to approach him again about his problem.  Thank you for arming me with some info.  Wish me luck!  I hope my love and our baby's love is enough to make him stop and think about what he is doing.......and seek help from a professional.  Thanks again!
Helpful - 0
My son-in-law is addicted to vicodin.  We thought he had overdosed tonight.  I love him so much, he is like a real son to me.. what  are the signs when someone overdoses.  His eyes were dilated .  He seemed so sleepy all the time and cannot function right with everyday life.  Tonight he began to shake a lot and did not make  since when he tri
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
Yes there is a way out and sadly sometimes at a huge cost. YUP on the "he has to want to."  The addicted mind will lie to itself until the bottom falls out.

There are professionals out there in the programs and detox places and even alanon can recommend ways to do some kind of intervention.  Try an alanon meeting first and ask the entire meeting with a short and sweet question.  You will be surprised at the response you will get

AND here's a thought... there has to be alanon forum groups like the one I'm typing into so run a google on it and ask there>>>>>>
Best
Jim
Helpful - 0
These are just my opinions:

He has to want to quit; if he's not ready then it probably won't work. Ask him if he thinks he has a problem with them. If he says no, ask him to try and not take any for a day and see how he feels. If he feels he can't go without, then he will KNOW he has a problem. But the bottom line is he has to be ready to quit. Make sure he knows how it is making you feel, how he may be risking his job, the kids from his ex, etc., and ask him is it worth it.

Quitting isn't easy, that's for sure. You can taper, c/t, rehab, etc. I personally couldnot taper (no will power), and I risked my job if I rehab'd (even voluntary), so I quit c/t (was taking 5-6 10/300 vikes every evening) the day I decided I wouldn't let those pills run my life anymore. It hurt, but I'm on day 36 and have more energy, feel WAY better than when on them, etc. Still having a little trouble sleeping, but get at least 6 hours a night which is good enough (better than being in the bed from 10pm until around 9am after taking the monsters). My wife is so happy to have the real ME back.

Maybe have him read a few of the addiction stories on this web site ... may wake him up to his problem.

Hope everything works out well for you, adn especially him.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.