Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

help

my  hubby was on ativan,(8mg a day for 7 years)he went into detox 6 week ago things are not going well, he is giving up. how long do withdraws last? and what can we expect for the next 6 weeks? can someone out there tell me .
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I went to a 10 day detox for two years of 4-8 mgs a day of Xanax. I had been taking others, but already was a week and a half off the others. I was very afraid to go cold turkey from Xanax, so I got enough to stretch doses until detox. Once in, They gave phenobarb and muscle relaxers. 8 mg of Ativan is a lot and given the frequency and duration of use, your husband is probably dizzy for starters and on an emotional roller coaster because the drugs help the user to push down and suppress emotions, where now the suppressors are gone and the human has developed emotional debt, like credit card debt. It sounds like you're supporting just fine-
Helpful - 0
I don't have an educated answer for your question, but you both have made great strides for the past 6 weeks and I applaud you for those efforts!!  I couldn't imagine what your husband is going through...is it mentally and/or physically?  I would say to continue to research through this forum to help find some answers...I am doing this for the 1st time today also...and I hope for you, that somewhere in the words of all these remarkable people, there are answers for you and your husband.  I truely hope that he is able to continue on... remembering there is a light at the end of his tunnel.
I wish all the best for you both
Helpful - 0
Ativan(Lorazepam) is a Benzodiazepene. Eight years is a long time at 8 milligrams. I have known a few and heard of countless others about detox. Usually they give you phenobarbital so you wont go into seizures. 95 percent of all people who go into detox for Benzos come out screwed up. There is no quick fix for detoxing Benzos. Recovery time on average can be anywhere from 6-18 months, give or take. It is horrendous compared to getting off of opiates. You need to go on a very slow, meaning months weaning process.
Go to    http;//benzo.org.uk/     Professor Heather Ashton has been detoxing people off of benzos for decades and is one of the leading Authorities on how to slowly get offf of them.  Everything and anything you want to know is on that site including a slow taper schedule for Lorazepam. Feel free to post back with any questions.                                      elvistcb
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.