Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

low dose/short term oxycontin (for pain relief) withdrawal

I've been taking oxycontin at a low dose (30mg twice a day) since just before Christmas, for chronic pelvic/lower back pain (caused by SPD/sacro-illiac instability).  Prior to that, I'd been taking 100mg tramadol four times a day for 4 years with no problems (other than it not working any more - hence the oxycontin).

Anyhoo.  I started noticing my body couldn't cope with being late for a dose (shakes, irritability, stomach cramps) even if only by half an hour - and decided it was all a bit scary, and weaned myself off them over about a week and a half.  I took my last one (I was at 5mg twice a day on my last day) 4 or 5 days ago.  I'm now back on tramadol (under GPs orders) for my pain, and was up until last night taking a week long course of zopiclone to help me sleep while I was withdrawing (is that a word?!).  I had no idea coming off oxycontin (especially at such a low dose) could be so hard.  I did initially tell my pain management doc I was having problems at 20mg twice a day - but he just said to increase the dose, and come back in a couple of months.  Needless to say, I'm not seeing him again.

Anyhow - I've never been addicted to the tramadol in the past - and I now only take it when the pain is bad - which varies - like in the past - some days I have it 4 times a day, recently it's only been on a night to help the discomfort then.  Tonight I've not taken any (I wanted my first glass of wine in 4 years with my hubby!) - and am literally crawling, restless legs, the works.

I know this sounds like it's going nowhere...but my question is - is this still the oxycontin?  Or is it my body saying I have to have some sort of pain relief?  Surely I cant be addicted to the tramadol already - considering I took it for 4 years and gave up with no probs in the past?

I dont really know why I want answers.  Truth is chronic pain sucks.  I want my life back, and it's either no pain relief and living with the pain, or pain relief and living with the side effects.

One well and truly fed up mum of 5 (oh god, yes, 5 kids - great fun when you're feeling ****!) :-(

Lisa
xx
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks folks for the info - it's much appreciated.  Got 2 hours of sleep in the end - better than nothing!

I abstained from all alcohol - as you cant drink on either tramadol or oxycontin, well - if you can I wouldn't have dared try it anyway lol.

Have made the promise to myself I am never ever having another night off for the sake of a glass of wine.  Ever.

Thanks for the help - I'll go google now ;-)
Helpful - 0
Why did you decided to have a glass of wine after 4 years. Is it just wine that you abstained from or all alcohol?
30mg twice a day is not a small dose. True some heavy chronic pain patients and cancer patients, take larger doses. But 60mg/day of oxycodone is a considerable dose. And you been taking it for 1/2 year. That is appreciative Oxycontin regimen.
maybe talk to your doc. about a benzodiazapine that will help with some anxiety and restlessness. Just a suggestion.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
its probably still the oxy.. you said its been 5-6 days right?? some people feel symptoms for up to a month.. every one is different. Google "PAWS" as well its post accute withdrawl syndrome.. that may help you a little to know what s  going on with your body right now. Also Tramodol is like an opiate in a lot of ways including withdrawl. so be careful with that as well.   I hope you find a way to control your pain without the meds controlling you.. its a struggle many fight everyday..
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.