Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

My story

I just started posting in the last few days and thought I should introduce myself. I was injured on the job 1 yr ago and put on hydros. I took them as directed at first and then liked the way they relaxed me. I now have a 120-150 mg habit a day. I have a very stressful job and work the night shift. On a quiet night I could just take catnaps and thought I was sharp as a tack. I found this site about 6 mos ago and decided to quit. I made it to day 6 and filled a prescription. Lately, I have been feeling sick from the hydros and noticed they are affecting my job. I have a short temper lately and in my profession it is not good. I am going to quit today and have 4 days off work to get through this. I have the support of my wife and can not go to dr or detox. I see alot of success stories on the forum and that gives me courage. I am a 35 yr old male and if you saw me, you would never suspect I am on pills. I took my last pills last night and had about 35 left. I gave them to my wife and told her not to tell me what she has done with them. I did hear the toilet flush not long after, heh heh. I am going out to do yard work and keep busy. Today should not be too bad for me but I know what is coming.
Wish me luck
Tim
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dang- i think i would cry when i hear the toliet flush..no just kidding because i am starting to wean today...You  are very strong..And you have your wife ..some people have no one and have to take care of babies and their jobs..I wish you the best of luck.
keep coming back
god bless
Helpful - 0
Do you feel as though you are unable to taper?
Helpful - 0
I think it was relief I felt but it was hard. I am lucky to have a supportive wife and we have 5 children. I hope you have some support too!! Best of luck to you!
Helpful - 0
I have tried to taper and it is impossible for me. If the pills are here I take them. I am a strong man and have to just suck it up before someone gets hurt because of my addiction. The time is now for me and no going back.
Helpful - 0
I taataly understand , I was the same way..  I just think that 4 days isn't very long.  to do it.  Alot of people say that the 4th day is the worst.  I do know that some people work right through w/d though.  May be if I would have worked I wouldn't have been focusing on how badly I felt.  Wait , I was litteraly unable to drive for the first week!!  Just keep posting everyone willl be here to see you through it. It's a good idea to have your wife post too so that she can understank whats going on.
Helpful - 0
I just had to put my two cents in and say "You can do it"!  I really did think I was going to die on day 5 but today (day 6) is a little better.  I'll be there for you, all the way!  Bobbyjean
Helpful - 0
I felt much better by the 5th day so hopefully you'll be past the worst of it by then.  W/d's seem to depend on the individual and his/her circumstances such as length of use and quantity.  
Whatever happens, we are here for you.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing.  It is miraculous how posting your feelings can help.  When others respond, I feel hope.
Best of luck to you and I am so glad you are here.
Helpful - 0
hey man, 5 kids?  and we thought we had it rough with 3.  glad to hear you took the first step today.  i know that some people get so weak with the initial withdrawals that they can't work or anything.  but you sound pretty strong.  Kristi is strong for being a little girl too.  i'm really proud of her.  do you have big plans for the long weekend?  we are going to the beach for a little while tomorrow afternoon (we practically live on the beach) and then we'll have a cookout at home and just putter around.  i hope to get some badly needed sleep tomorrow but after that, i'm going to try and pamper Kristi.  this is her 7th day clean from the oxys.  you inspired her and for that i know she will always be thankful.  well keep up the good work and if you need anything, just let us know.
Mark & Kristi  (if you want my email address, let me know ok?)
Helpful - 0
Hi, I'm new too, nice to meet you. Today's my first day from tapering. I only have four days too, so keep me posted. Trust me, I don't think anyone, well actually, I know that no-one had any idea I was addicted to painkillers, for one I'm pretty young, and I led a pretty normal young life, with the help of 15 to 20 of my pals everyday!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.