Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Trying to stop

Hello. Im 33,diabetic, and have been hooked on codien (about 6-8 10mg pills a day)for about a year. I quit cold turkey 2 days ago, but am feeling the many horrible symptoms aquainted with quiting. Can anyone tell me how long till I feel better? Should I take 1 pill a day for a day or two and then stop again? Thank you for any advice. :)
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
177036 tn?1192286635
taper off as soon as possible and a gently as possible with the amount of pills you have left
Helpful - 0
Thank you! One more question: In the year that I have been taking these, I have lost a considerable amount of weight. (16 lbs) Is this a symptom of this addiction?
Helpful - 0
These drugs are highly addictive as you know and very metal...you gotta have that pill.  In my opinion Go cold turkey, the bad withdrawals only last a few day four at the most, warm baths, I used clonidine to help sleep, amodium D for diarrea, advil.  You are already on day two and if you read the post above you may have all ready taken one pill and you probably feel better but then gain you are prolonging the withdrawals in my humble opinion.

Blessings
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
Yes, she might be right too, but neither worked for me. I had to go into detox and get real medical help.. Sometimes going CT can cause health problems.
Helpful - 0
I realize I'm new to the forum and this complex painful world of fighting off the addiction. As such I don't necessarily think I know much of anything, but I will share a couple ideas for what it's worth. I'm sure others here would disagree with me, I guess we're all coping differently.

First thing is the idea of making someone take your pills.
No disrespect to anyone, but I think if the only way you can cope is by relying on not having the pills readily accessible, two things are going to happen in your mind: First you've just given responsibility to someone else and avoided taking it. I think this essentially plants the notion in our minds that we don't have the power to do it (I will strictly avoid the religious implications because I have noted many posts with religious overtones/comments, and I'm not here to offend anyone or debate religion!). But if you're giving the power over this to someone else by relying on them to keep it away from you, then you are telling yourself that you cannot do so.

I realize that right NOW you feel like you don't. Self-doubt is poison and I think me and everyone here feels the same too damn often.
But DEEP DOWN inside you, you know 2 things - first that you DO have the power yourself to do it - it just carries a heavy price. Second, that nobody else CAN.

PLEASE dont interpret this as preaching - just offering ideas for you to ponder. Maybe they resonate with you, maybe not. Worth trying though :-)

The second aspect of this is that at SOME point, you will always have access to the drugs. You can't rely on not having them or having access. Maybe for a short time it would work, and if you need to do that today to make it through then whatever works you should do! But long term, eventually you'll come across those little demons again. And if you have no one with the power to keep you safe from them, and have given your own power away - then what?
/A
Helpful - 0
so your answer is ?
Helpful - 0
Once again, thank you for everyone's input and encouragement. Im not worried about getting hooked again. When I decide to stop something, then im stopped. (I quit drinking cold turkey after being a HEAVY alcoholic over 2 years ago .And while I have had the chance to drink many times since, I have chosen not to every time.) My main concern for this post is the symptoms and duration of my withdraw from these pills.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.