Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Vicodin and Soma

What is the best way to get off of this ****?  I own a successful business and started using these drugs when I got hurt surfing.  They gave me energy initially.  Been taking them for 2 years and got 2 DWI's in the process.  I have never been addicted to anything and this stuff got me good.  I've quit twice but went back.  At first, they gave me energy, now they just are necessary to survive the day.  Please help with any info that will help me quit for good.  Thanks all and God Bless.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
176495 tn?1301280412
There are differing opinions as you might find on this forum...cold turkey (c/t)
or "weening"..slowly cutting back your intake.  Neither seems to work for me.
I have the pills, I take 'em.  Vicuprofin 750's.  I take 6-8 a day and right now I'm down to my last 6 with no refills in site for 2 weeks.  I woke up in a panic this morning, knowing that I'm about out.  I also take ativan to help with withdrawls..out of that, too.  I was in a near panic attack this morning, took my last ativan and 2 vics.  I may wind up in the ER.
My doctor has me lined up with a pain clinic that supposedly can help me kick them with some treatment..can't see them til 7/5.  If I start losing it I am going to the ER..thankfully my dr knows my situation and is trying to help and I hope they will give me enough so
I can get through to that appointment.

I hate the things..I hate that I let them control my life.

I would consult your doctor and see what he/she can offer for help.  Some folks have had good results with suboxone (search in here for it) which can only be prescribed by MDs
certified to prescribe it.  

In the meantime, try tapering off if you can, reducing your intake.

There's a lot of support in here, I'm inspired by all that I read.  I'm just scared
*less by the prospect of withdrawls.  But, I never want to take another one of these if I can ever get off them.  NEVER.

sorry to ramble.  It has not been a good day for me.

BG
Helpful - 0
These are my thing also.  Been on them for a few years now.  Today is my 4th day without the vicodin (norco).  I went to my dr for a refill and asked if he had anything less addicting than vicodin and he gave me Tramadol.  I too will take vicodin if I have it.  I did go down from 8-12 a day to about 2 a day before I ran out.  I stayed at 2 a day for only 3 days.   I take the tramadol and an occasional soma if my back starts hurting.

Some people cold turkey.  I've done that too.  The withdrawals were much worse but they only lasted for about a week.  I felt better by day 4 and improved from there.
Good luck to you.  If you go to the ER and you might want to ask them to give you some tramadol as well as your regular meds.
The tramadol really cut my withdrawal sytoms in half and made it feel more like a little cold than full on flu.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.