Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

I screwed up. Am I a failure now?

Today I found 3 pills in the side pocket of my change purse and took them.  I did not even think about it.  As soon as I saw them I just sucked them down.  I must admit they gave me quite a buzz.  But now I just want more and I feel so guilty.  Will I go thru those nasty withdrawals again that I went thru when I quit 8 days ago?  I guess I am a failure.  I am sorry I wasted everyones time.  Bobbyjean
16 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I agree with you to a point, but I think people
Helpful - 0
Hi, it's unfortunate that you found those 3 pills so soon after your 8-day detox. I'm sure they felt wonderful! I love finding buried treasure every once in a while. Every time you take opiates now, your craving for them will return. It's the nature of the beast. The craving will lessen again, just like it did after your detox. I wouldn't blame myself for such an easy slip. I'd have scarfed em down, too!

Thomas    
Helpful - 0
OH please.....lol...you are NOT a failure. I remember back when I was tryin to quit the first time, I went 9 days...and then I found an old bottle of ibuprofen and when I opened it, I had like 19 norcos in there. I musta hid them a while back. Needless to say, I was a happy person for a day...lol....and I felt so crappy and horrible after I took all of them. (well, not at once but throughout the day) I beat myself up for days about it. Then, a good friend reminded me that in life, unless we screw up how are we going to know how to get better? It made sense to me. Cuz I realized that for ME, I just CANNOT even take ONE. Or it will start all up again. Now, I do have a bottle of norco that I keep for my husband cuz he has a really bad knee injury that flares up on him now and again. I have no temptation to take them...however, I know if I ever do take one, that whole bottle will be gone in a few days.
You are not a failure...you just learned something about yourself...and you, like me, can't take just 'one'...lol...like a lay's potato chip. :)
What do we tell our kids when they fall off that bike? Brush yourself off, and try again! When you fall.....you get up and try again. You are strong...and can do it!  :)

Love
Jenny
Helpful - 0
I am lucky to have found this place and people that care.  But I do not know now if I want to stay clean.  I just feel this intense craving for more.  I do not want to fail but I know now that I should not have taken those pills.  I do not believe I am thinking very rationally now.
Helpful - 0
Yeah, its just your body trying to get you to get more pills....it will cease. Trust me. You'll be okay, and you won't have any w/d's either, not from 3 pills in 8 days so don't worry about that. You'll just have some mental wd's..and I know those suck, too but not as bad as the physical ones.
I don't know where you live but its a beautiful day here in Illinois...and I know that wherever you are there has got to be some kind of festivity or carnival going on cuz of the Holiday Weekend...why don't you go and have some fun today? Just take your mind off of it? :)

Jenny
Helpful - 0
198154 tn?1337787265
You have something driving you to stay clean through the first 8 days of wd's.  
I KNOW that wasnt a picnic.  
BTW- youre not rational right now, your buzzed.  Dont get more pills today.
See if you still feel the same in the morning.... you know what you have to do :)
Helpful - 0
your post was awesome....you are right i am the same way about taking one...And i like how you put it with the kid on the bike...I always tell my kids that!!
have a great holiday weekend
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
Ah, three little pills...... the only failure will be yet to see if you can resist the cravings... they are tough I know!  Go to a doc and ask for something to get you through this? (of course you are telling him the truth).  Just to let you know how sick I am, after hearing about the 9 pills found in the Ibuprofen bottle, my first thought was... "hey maybe that's were I should check."  After 27 days off, I still think it would be nice to get ripped and go throgh the phone book and tell everybody how wonderful they are.
Helpful - 0
If you are a failure then we all are...That is part of the whole process..Just try not to beat yourself up about it and try again..I don't know if you will go through it again, but i pray you don't
good luck
Helpful - 0
I actually ahve done something quite similar
I was in the Mall shopping and I saw a buddy you know the usual hand shake and so on..I was a street junkie so I know alot of the dealers around town..and worked for some of them...............and other on occiasion............when he shook my hand...planted a 20 oxy right there...I said whow thanks buddy and popped it..without even thinking about

It messed me up quite the same as it is with you now....a Reality while we are trying to quit pills...with such little time under our belts.....we can slip like that easliy enough, without even thinking about it...

Your Wds wont be as bad...at least mine werent.......I got my high and let it go out and continued on........its a slip, it happens............We arent perfect just humans trying to quit something we loved....at one tiem or another...

Pick yourself up and dust yourself off...and carry on

Happy thoughts and Prayers

Write about your expeience...I recommend it to anyone........
Helpful - 0
Thank you to everyone.  I really want to be clean and sober by the time I get my boys the last half of the summer.  I am struggling now though because I know where I could get some more.  It must be the drugs talking.
Helpful - 0
hi, sorry to say that the temptation never seems to go away, no matter how much time goes by. I think it's a brain-(re)wiring issue ...

Thomas
Helpful - 0
Thank you..and I hope you have a great weekend too! :)
I gotta go to work tonight...ugh. And my boss told me that we can stay open til 2am tonight instead of the usual midnight we close on Sundays. Cuz of tomorrow being a holiday, we can legally stay open for an extra 2 hrs. Great. So basically, I'll have every wierdo west of the rock river coming in to see me after they have been drinking all day at the carnival. lol

FUN, FUN, FUN........lol

Jen
Helpful - 0
I think temptation does go away eventually...it lessons as we stop letting it consume us...............however when we are in early recovery.......and thinking that we wont pick up when we see it is another story

I have had over 4 years clean.....and it didnt bother me much to not use.......not until I gave myself the oppourninty to use......So yes, I do beelieve it goes away its a mind game....I guess it depends how you play it

Helpful - 0
The obsession to use goes away with time, the potential to become addicted does not, in most cases.

Bobbyjean if 3 pills fell from the sky right now i would take them.  Thats why I could only taper when I was only out of pills.  If i have them i take them.

Your withdrawals won't go back to square one.  Start fresh tomorrow, you're ok.
Helpful - 0
198154 tn?1337787265
I would have done the same thing, YOU HAVE NOT FAILED. Just a small back slide, the wd's wont start all over again, not after just 3 pills.
All you have to do is start fresh tomorrow.

You made it 8 days... dont you realize how huge that is ???

Dont be so hard on yourself, GOOD LUCK!!!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.