Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
186166 tn?1385259382

question from the non addict

ok my forum friends...help me understand this one...:)

i've read many posts from ppl here who have had some significant clean time and from some who are not so far along.   what always strikes me as being strange is that whenever you have something go wrong...and i mean physically...you talk about taking a pain pill.   is this how the addicts mind works?  ok...an example here...sorry stephanie but i need to use your story...she was tapering down but then had an accident and broke a toe or two.   i have broken both my little toes...MANY TIMES...and i don't even think about treating my pain with pain pills...i just go for the tylenol...aleve...motrin...whatever is available.   i know...because of the fact that you guys have abused pills for a while that tylenol and the likes, probably don't phase you...but what about once you have significant clean time?   does there ever come a time when you reach for the otc pain relievers or will you always go straight to wanting or using something stronger?

help me understand...

huggs,
kim
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Yes as an addict it is the first thing that comes to my mind.....I broke a toe I need a Vicodin ES, I cracked a fingernail I need an oxycottin.......Just because I am an addict doesn't mean I can take pain pills when I am in pain.........

NSAIDS are better for pain the pain pills unless it is tramatizing pain........
Then narcotics are helpful......

The back is a great excuse, half the people go to work everyday with back pain. The addict believes that any back pain justifies a pain pill.........

Notice in posts and addict can't say he takes Percs he has to say Per 10's 325
they don't have a sore lower back they have "damage in there L-4, or L-5 S-1"

A crazy thing in an addicts brain can send pain signals to the back to trick the body to get drugs......and narcotic pain meds........

Welcome to the addicts world Lizzzzzzzzzzzy Louuuuuuuuu

People is as strong as any Cancer, it is a disease that is very nasty and does not discriminate. It is very Seductive and when it has you it does everything in its power to kill you, after it makes you suffer tramaticly first.....and the love ones around them who become victims of their addiction......

One day my hope is that Addiction will be looked at as a disease and not a choice of criminals and scum bags...and needs to be treated.....not just tossed aside in jails and other institutions...

I hope this helps....
M

Helpful - 0
It's called "cross-tolerance".

"Resistance to an effect or effects of a compound as a result of tolerance previously developed to a pharmacologically similar compound."

In other words, once someone has taken pain pills long enough, OTC stuff won't have much if any of an effect. I was also told that should I ever need surgery that I am to inform the dr.'s that I probably have cross-tolerance so that I don't wake up in the middle of surgery in lots of pain!

Scary stuff.

Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
Its the addict mind.. it will tell you a pill will fix anything. And our concept of pain is heavily distorted.. because we have abused meds for so long alot of times OTC stuff no longer works..because our pain receptors have been pumped full of stuff for so long things "seem" to hurt more than they would other people.. We literally have to heal that part of our brains in order to feel pain normally agian..
I hope this helps.. I don't mind you using me as an example... My two toes f=ing hurt... I was a wussy..
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.