Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

to beachtowel

Who told you that methadone was a 2 week program. That is so far from the truth that it makes me laugh. Methadone is a maintenance program that gets an addict stable on a certain dose and they very well may remain there for life, or until they themselves decide to detox. Methadone clinics will not encourage detox because it is a business. A business that makes money as long as we pay the tab. I was there for 5 years and know how it works. Detoxed from 90mg to 4mg very slowly and have been off for over 3 weeks now and still feel the d/t's. Methadone is one of the hardest drugs ever to get off of. I've heard that from the guys in line at the clinic who were on herion and everything else you can imagine.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
177003 tn?1266270355
I have been on a slow taper off fentanyl pain patches.  I only wear a 12 mcg now, down from 100mcg's when I started. One option is to use methadone at a low dose for two weeks after I take the last patch off. This is to keep my body from too much shock when it discovers it's not getting fentanyl anymore.
I didn't read beachtowel's post yet, but I know it can be used for short periods of time.
Take Care....LS
Helpful - 0
Maybe it can be, but most people that get on methadone are doing so to stop their w/d symptems and then once they are there they start back with their addictive personality and want more and more, of which the clinic is more than willing to help them out with. Bottom line is, that's just the way it works. The more they can get you to take, the longer you will be there which = more money they will make. If like you say, everyone would look at methadone as a short term solution, it would be great, but that is just not the way it is. Addicts are addicts, and methadone clinics use that to a profitable advantage. And that is the truth.
Helpful - 0
177003 tn?1266270355
I am in no way calling you a liar. I was just telling of a personal experience. I am close to having to make the choice. My dr. also suggest ultram for a short period of time. Just enough that I don't freak out when the last patch comes off after being used to fentanyl. I know methadone is used a long time by some people, but it's not unusual for it to be used short term either.
Have a good night......LS
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.