Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What should I expect?

Ok, so I am not sure where to start.  I am 26 years old, married and have 2 children. I just signed up in order to take the first step in admitting I have an issue.  First off I want to apologize if this is to long; I don
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am coming down off a much much more serious vicodin withdrawal.  All I can say is that this forum has helped me too.  I don't have people to turn to because I am also looked upon as the strong one.  You are in my prayers and please continue posting you have no idea what it will do for you.  
Helpful - 0
213991 tn?1214273019
If u can let your wife know exactly what is going on with you. Nothing hurts as bad as going through something alone. My GF just kinda snubbed her nose at me when i told her i was done because ive said it before but i think yesterday she really saw that i was 110% serious. It made the load on my shoulders 10x lighter knowing that i could talk to her if i was in direstraights. Read some earlier posts on tapering and aminos those could help u a lot. Just remember u can do it if your doing it for yourself first and your family second. (dont mean to make that sound cold). Commit and quit remember we're here for u ppl are going through or have gone through the same thing on here so your not alone.
Helpful - 0
214255 tn?1205635636
You remind me of me, I started taking small doses of vicodin (unprescribed) then up to 10mg and now and doing about 1-1/2 80mg oxycotin a day. That was my decision to get high and if you don't stop (maybe subconsionsly) you don't want to you could wind up where I am today broke and miserable. I am now on my 4th time trying to get clean on day 2 sober, but i am taking suboxin. It's a pill that you take and let dissolve under your toung and it takes away all the withdrawl symtoms, but not the addiction next i'll have to get off these wich if i do it right will be a month total. So my advice to you is to maybe 1st try to ween yourself off with the vics (you don't want to feel the high) just not to feel that your crawling out of your skin. Only you can do it and if your not off in a month I suggest you tell your wife and get medical help. Good luck
Helpful - 0
I know I can stop taking them, I just feel that during the time that I do I cause grief around me.  I am unhappy, lethargic and irritable.  I suppose that is my reason for wanting to wait until my family has moved.  I brought this on myself and hate that I am forcing others to deal with it.  

I will continue to post on my progress.  I am going to try to ween myself down as much as possible, however it is hard to resist that "everything is ok and good" feeling you get after you take one.

It is also not helping that right now I have many other stresses to worry about on top of this.  I am going through a bankruptcy, I am leaving a job I have been at for 8 years, I am leaving the city I grew up in for the last 26 years. I don't even remember how I used to be "before" I started taking the pills.
Helpful - 0
214255 tn?1205635636
Well if you think things are bad now just think how WORST there going to get of you don't stop. You have no idea what i've been going through I have had a 600$ a week problem on top of that blew all the $ which was 50k from my house that I sold.. So if you think you can't stop, because I am and don't want to, but I HAVE TO..Go seek help there are many dr.'s that have outpatient also you should tell the DR thats giving you these pills so they can help!
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
My pain mysteriously went away when I got clean... go figure?  You can take the high road or the low road away from these little pills but with time... arrgh!  The lie stops and we have to stop somehow... the real ***** of the thing is that the longer you stay in the harder the detox... because we already know that medication intake will increase....

Even though I am clean, I know that my addiction is doing push-ups just waiting for me to come back.

I'm 8 day off of suboxone, (medication for easy detox, also an opiate), and don't think for a minute I don't think about getting another script for that!  I thought about it all 8 days.  I am at least comfortable even though I have a lack of drive that is just not like me at all, but everybody tells me it gets better and I am soooo looking forward to that!
Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
" I don't even remember how I used to be 'before' I started taking the pills."

Wow!  What a profound statement.  I had never thought of it in exactly that way, but when I read that I thought "he's EXACTLY right."

How much are you taking?  Are you only swallowing the pills or have you been crushing and snorting?
Helpful - 0
Wow, you sound like my husband :)  He is an oxycontin addict.  Vicodin is just another opiate doing the same thing to your brain.  If any advice, I have to tell you that you need to talk to your wife.  I was so hurt and felt insufficient as a wife that he didn't love and trust me enough to come to me.  Sure - the real reason is the drugs strength and the addictions need to remain concealed - but I took it very personal and it has done a number on my confidence.  
My husband went through an inpatient detox followed by treatment.  It was the only physically possible and safe way for him to get off - you should do the same.  Maybe before you go to move with her  ???  But she should know, you need her support and you have to be honest.  If you have no accountability or support you'll fail and relapse.  That's not becuase you aren't a good enough, smart enough or strong enough man - the fact is that opiates are just stronger - stronger than anything.  I am a mother of a 13 month old and am literally 1 week from my due date with baby number two.  That isn't reason enough for my husband to be here for me and under his drug problems he's a wonderful man.  He relapsed once last week and he also now has a severe anxiety disorder that was caused by his oxy addiction - so he's on anti-anxiety meds that have him sleeping 22 hours a day.  So he's in bed, basically has been most of this week and I'm taking care of the one year old by myself and could go into labor at any moment.  
Before it's too late, get help - and no, doing it on your own is not a good choice, that plan will fail.  Love your wife and children while your mind still can - seek her for support and seek professional help - now.  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.