Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

beachtowel/methadone

Beachtowel, I couldn't find the post you were refering, but I will tell you that methadone clinics today, maybe have 10% at the MOST heroin addicts, the other 90%+ were on perscription drugs from doctors or buying perscription drugs from friends or friends who knew people. Also let me tell you that in the 5 years I was there, suboxone was never mentioned, as a matter of fact I didn't even know what suboxone was until I started reading this forum. I detoxed off methadone from 90mg all the way to 4mg in a 6 month period, ending nearly 4 weeks ago. I am still feeling some w/d's but not too bad. I agree with you that methadone is a horrible addictive drug, but most people, including me, don't find that out until they are there and hear it from the guys who have been there for awhile. These clinics are a gold mine for the doctors who run them. Also, it was vicodin, percocets, and mainly oxcontin, that put my name on the dotted line at the clinic. I've never even known anyone who did heroin. Sorry, not saying that you were saying that or anything but I was just making a point about the clinics.
21 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Also beach, if I'm on oxycontin heavy and you are on heroin, and we go cold turkey at the exact same time, you'll be feeling better (over you're w/d's) before I will. Because I'm sure you know that heroin is short as far as the time it stays active in the body. Oxy is much longer, and methadone much much longer.
Helpful - 0
Beach, you say "Why would someone with a hard Oxycotin problem come to the conclusion that going on Methodone for years is a better life?"

Looking at things from that point of view, why whould someone with a hard heroin problem come to the conclusion that going on Methadone for years is a better life?

Helpful - 0
Wow, very interesting... thx for the post.  Hugs, Lil.  :)
Helpful - 0
I understand that Oxycotin is a horrible addictive drug and is causing serious problems in the world of drug use.......

Methodone is not the solution to this problem, lets don't get away from the main point of conversation and is the only thing that matters.......

Why would someone with a hard Oxycotin problem come to the conclusion that going on Methodone for years is a better life?
Helpful - 0
I am ignorant to how it feels to having a baby but that does not make me an ignorant person.......
It was a figure of speach directed specificly at a topic the drug world......
Unfortunately I have decades of drug world experience and I am very involved with addiction today......
I am sorry for my choice of words but I have a problem with a drug like oxycotin which came out in 1996 when in 1898 Bayer begins sale of Diacetylmorphine HCl under the brand name "Heroin" which so many people have died and destroyed everything in their wake......

I laughed at your comment about Heroin is still the big boy of opiates but I understand in the RX generation of today Jeff would think that Heroin is old so it really isn't used anymore.......

Its like sports  LeBron James of the Cleveland Caviliers is now said to be the greatest basketball player of all time......ask any young NBA fan and they will swear to it......

I guess Kareem Abdoul Jabbar or Oscar Robertson, Bill Russell and many others are no longers factors in superstar discussions...hell not even Magic Johnson.........

In 10 more years Michael Jordon will be a has been.......

I don't know where Jeff lives but here in the Detroit area Heroin is still the king......

Helpful - 0
185545 tn?1331074866
yep,i think u make a good point.I spent sum time on the DEA website looking at sum numbers that may explain the increase in OC being directly attributable to increased mdone consumption

o/c
1997-- 4,449,562grams  
2001--15,305,913grams
2003--26,655152grams
2005-30,628,937grams

methadone
1997~518,937grams
2001-1,892,691grams
2005-5,362,815grams

wikid numbas.mdone grown 10 fold in 8 years.Gee,i wonder why.Duh.

regards J
Helpful - 0
Wow, u should be so proud of yourself.  And thx for the post, it was very interesting and something to think about.  U are doin' so great!!  Have a wonderful and restful nite, take care and god bless.  U are very inspirational for goin' through what you have and still haven't went back to doing it.  Something for me to look forward to.  I've been clean for 13 days now.  My prayers are with you, hugz, Lil.  :)
Helpful - 0
I'm not tryin' to start anything because I don't normally get involved with the drama, but my opinion is this...  some of us are really quick to point fingers to the drama starters on here but beach, you think it is wise or nice to call someone ignorant on that subject knowing every city is different?  I totally believe what this person is saying about 90% is pill addiction than heroin because I've seen that before in my town.  I live in a small town in florida.  

I don't think that excludes u beach, when everyone on here (including yourself in the past) says don't start trouble and don't name call on here.  That's just my opinion.  I just thought that was a little (well frankly very) rude and I don't normally see you do that.  Maybe you're just havin' a bad nite but that doesn't excuse that kind of talk.  I hope everyone has a great and restful nite, hugz, Lil.  :)
Helpful - 0
I did lots of heroin in the 70's and have similar experiences as you as far as drugs, guns, cops, etc., craziness of livin the life of a heroin addict.  I was addicted at 14, IV heroin using little girl.  I messed with it off and on until I got pregnant at 19 and then quit.  Actually I did my withdrawals in a juvenile detention facitly after getting busted with many guns (stolen of course).  Anyway, I remember going to the methadone clinics down in the poorer parts of San Diego CA.  There were stone cold heroin addicts there.  

But, on the other hand, I led a NA panel into a hospital while doing H&I for 3 years and this place was a treatment for opiate addicts in the more affluent part of town with expensive homes and professional people.  Guess what?  DIdn't meet one heroin addict but met many script addicts.

Maybe where Jeff goes (is that who posted??)  happens to be a clinic where script people outnumber the heroin people.  Could be.  Doesn't mean heroin isn't still"king" of opiates.
Helpful - 0
Call me young and ignorant if it makes you feel better. It's like water off a ducks back to me babe. All I know is what I know. And you're probably right as far as you're big city livin in Detroit. But here in my little Carolina town, what I said is the 100% truth. Heroin is VERY few and far between. Oxycontin brought more people to my clinic than any other drug, period. Sorry to ruffle your feathers there beach.
Helpful - 0
I don't want to argue with you but your post about oxycotin is so far off I can't even believe that someone would make such a incredible foolish statement and calling it fact.......

Heroin has been around and believe it or not once sold legally by mail order in the US.........

Are you serious.........there have been narcotic pain pills in my lifetime stronger than oxycotin that have been pulled off the market ever here of Hycomine? Just to let you know it was the 60', 70's and 80's oxycotin.......

Your probably young and ignorant to the drug world.......

I do agree that oxycotin is very serious in todays world no question....but to compare it to Heroin is a joke.........Heroin is the king of Opiates and always will be........
Helpful - 0
Also, we all have our own stories.  Just because he didn't use what you used doesn't make his "drug world" less real.  Doesn't make him ignorant and it isn't very nice of you to call him that name.  Listen next time they read the readings when you are at a meeting.  It doesn't matter what we used.......
Blessings and serenity to you Beachtowel
tzt
Helpful - 0
Thanks girl. I really appriciate your support. Ignorant I may be, young LOL, 44 years old and 20 years addicted until about a month ago. Things are looking up. Thanks again, time for bed now.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
You and I are on the same wave length tonight... read the post one post up:) I laughed when I read this one...
Helpful - 0
In todays world kids getting high are known as the RX generation......
This I know but here in the Detroit area Heroin has always been huge.......

The reason why I say the things that I do is because today I am 100% about recovery.......

decades of drugs by the wheel barrel turned me into an addict, a criminal, and a person walking around dead.......

Today I have 18 months clean time and recovery is the most important thing in the world to me.......

Believe it or not Methodone was designed to help Heroin addicts......
To use it for getting off pills to me is like shooting a sparrow with a Bazooka..

I would never tell anyone what they should do in there life but recovery is only achieved by not using any drugs and that is the goal.........

Helpful - 0
Yes you're right it is an epidemic. I could tell when I started reading the posts here that most people had a very wrong perspective of who went to methadone clinics. Bottom line is, oxycontin has sent more people to methadone clinics than heroin ever has. Atleast since the conception of the devil drug (oxycontin).
Helpful - 0
Best of luck to you and am sorry to hear about your stuggle.  So are you using anything to taper or are going CT?  If you need the methadone to taper you could always go back to the clinic, right?  Did they cut you off?
They are probably used to being told to go to hell.  They are dealing with people who aren't feeling at the top of the game.  I'm sure they would be understanding if you explained it to them or wanted to continue your program.
I don't know enough about methadone to know what it takes to taper but I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Helpful - 0
Wow!  I'm shocked that there are that many more script addicts than heroin addicts!  It is an epidemic, this opiate thing, isn't it?  Glad you posted, very interesting post.
Helpful - 0
One thing I told myself when I left is that I knew I would NEVER go back, but that was differant than you because I detoxed all the way to 4. I hope you have something to taper yourself down, maybe some hydros or something. Please be smart and use them wisely if you have them, or can get them. You know how it is at a clinic, definately not something you want to continue as a way of life. They have WAY TOO MUCH control over YOUR life. Good luck.
Helpful - 0
sorry I thought I was posting my own thread , chit sorry I 'm such a goooffff
Helpful - 0
last friday I got my last bottles of methadone and AJ10-325/kvmj and I had a falling out . At the the methadone clinic the nurse wasn't goin to give me my medicine becuz I did not have my own lockbox AJ and I were sharing an the nurse saw and she said she was goin to call the police... so I told them to go to hell and AJ gave me her last 3 bottles becuz she was goin on suboxna, which was good for her. I had3 bottles of 40 mg methadone I split them into 20 mg doses and I took the the last one 2 day and yesterday I took hydrocodone and took about 12 all together so............ **** I hate freakin pills but I love them toooo and I can't handle the little bit of withdrawal I go thru , I mean I feel it comin on and .... I lose my mind, so now what ? I'm desperate but I dont want to go back to the clinic
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.