Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

How to start quitting?

How do I start to quit? Tried, tried and tried again. Always failed. I know there's no easy out, but cant do rehab, single, no support, what works? any alternatives.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
209656 tn?1272297065
Hi,

What drug are you trying to quit?

Todd
Helpful - 0
hydrocodone, about 10 10's a day for nearly 5 years. started out legitimate medical problem, divorce, numbed the all the  pain and went from bad to worse. went to a Dr. and tried to quit, cut down to only .10 in am/ .5 in afternoon and 10 at nite for a few days and was off but went back and gets stronger every day. i wake up and take 2 every morning and continue all day and take xanex to sleep. i've tried to cut back, went cold turkey last october for 4 days and couldn't stand it and started up agina.
I just try to manage my addiction and it's time to stop.
Helpful - 0
Hey girl, I actually just posted a similar comment.. I am single and have virtually no support since I burned a lot of bridges from my mood swings that came from the dependence on the opiates.. I am in the same boat as you and if i figure something out i will let you know.. Im tired of being an addict and rehab is out of the question since i have no health insurance and dont feel like i can put my life on hold like that.. Sorry i don't have an answer for you but wanted to let you know that you aren't alone..
Helpful - 0
209656 tn?1272297065
Hi again,

Same here...from dental to my knees, I have been on and off for about 4 Years of the 7.5 Hydrocodone.

Ususally, if it wasn't longer than 3 months at a time, I would just c/t it from 4 a day with about 2 days of w/d.

But now, my knees were so bad, (not anymore-no I'm just addicted) that some how my count of the 7.5 Hydro went from 3 a day to 8-9 daily.

About 7 weeks ago, I tried to cold turkey it, well that lasted 37 hours and could NOT TAKE IT anymore, so I took the Hydro for relieve.

I know how intense it is, and I AGREE that it is time to get off. But Fladdict really gave me some good advise and it;s working and I'm down to 4-5 a day.

I know how bad you want off of them, but try coming down 1 to 2 pill a week, take your B vitamins and let your body adjust. When you just try to come off it all at once, your body does not know how to react, so you get big time w/d's!

I know about the insomnia, night sweats, anxiety, etc...But if you can just take it down 2 pills, go through some withdrawals and let your body adjust...then when your ready again try 1 or 2 more, and just keep letting your body adjust to the new level.

It is an easiest way, w/o detox with minimul discomfort. But you should really pick up some B Complex, for stress, it helps!

I was at 8-9 now with this method, I am now at 4-5 a day within 2 months. It's a little edgey, but I just will let my body adjust and try for 3-4 a day. I Feel WAY BETTER on 1/2 with in just 1-1/2 months of what I was on.

If you can't do it cold turkey, or detox...to me this has been the best approach that has worked for me, and many others!

Throw a post up for Fladdict, she's real nice and will help anytime!

Hope this helps, and GOD BLESS,

Todd
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.