Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Newbie with question about codeine addiction

Hello everyone, I just found this site and wondered if you could help me ? I have been taking Codeine 30mg since it was prescribed following the birth of my second son ( now 2.5). I liked the way it helped me cope with the stresses of life, now I am hooked. I take around 14 x 30mg tablets a day.No-one knows about it, this is the first time I am admitting I have a problem. My question is, would you say i had a mild or moderate addiction at this point and how do I go about stopping ? I have read horror stories about you should not stop suddenly as you may have a heart attack - is this true ? Any advice is greatly appreciated , thanks !
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Welcome!

The dosage you describe sounds a little off.  One of the highest dosages of Vicodin which have Hydrocodone in them is 10mg.  I am not sure of the difference in the two but I am pretty sure they are both from the opiate class of drugs.  I am sure someone here will know.  Regardless I do not think they will cause a heart attack stopping cold turkey just very bad withdrawal symptoms.  If you can taper great but you have to stick to it.  I have tried tapering and it is difficult.  I had to go cold turkey and I am on Day 6.  I still have symptoms.  Such as being tired, no will to really do anything and my stomach is messed up.  I quit before this for 3 months and by the end of the 3 months I was feeling back to normal for the most part.  Then a month ago I decided to take just one because I was sore.  Thought I could handle it.  Then I was back up to 4 - 10 mg pills a day.  And when I came clean before the 3 months of being sober I was taking 10 - 15 pills a day.  Those withdrawals were brutal  but worth it.  I think I had to go through that to realize what a mess I was.  Thank goodness I only got back up to 4 pills a day or I would be in a lot worse shape now.  I am even able to work (before I had to take 2 weeks off and still I was in pretty bad shape) and working helps to keep my mind off things.  I am not trying to scare you but the quicker you get off them the better things will be.  

I wish you all the best and my prayers are with you!

Shelby
Helpful - 0
Oh, I'm sorry, I guess I'm taking codeine phosphate 30mg tablets. Not Vicodin.
Is anyone here familiar with the difference here ? Thank you for your words of encouragement, I know I will have to taper, I'm going to psych myself up for it. I'd be really interested to know what the difference is with what I'm taking versus Hydrocodone ??
Helpful - 0
Welcome to the forum!!
I, too, was addicted to codeine, 30 mg tablets. Sometimes I took the 60 mg tablets, or Tylenol #4. I have to go back and consult my diary, but I believe I was taking between 6-12 a day. I have been clean since Dec, and it's the best thing I ever did, although it wasn't a vacation while going through w/d!!
I am not a doctor, but I'd say your beyond mild addiction...If you are taking up to 14 pills a day, thats a major problem. You NEED to get it under control before you go up and up in your dosages, and believe me, YOU WILL. Some people here have taken or are taking up to 30 or more pills a day...their w/d will or was 10 worse than yours will be if you quit right now.
If you don't mind my asking, how do you keep getting the pills? Meaning from a doctor, or buying them from someone? Do you have a legitimate pain problem?
YOU NEED TO QUIT NOW!!! The tylenol is horrible on your body, and even though Tylenol # 3 is only 300 mg of tylenol, it adds up. Have you ever gone through w/d or have you had a steady and constant supply since you had your son? Please respond, we'll get you through this. If it weren't for this forum, I would still be using today, as I would have given up halfway through w'd. Keep posting and READ, READ, READ as many posts as you can!!! Love, Emilyanne
And I commend you on getting the courage to post here, and recognize that this is a problem!!
Helpful - 0
You have come to the right place, if you want support trying to get off the codeine pills. Many of us have battled secret addictions, and it is really helpful - I couldn't have stopped, if it wasn't for the informations and especially the support from this forum.
I have taken codeine pills (paracetamol - 500 mg - and codeine - 30 mg) and I hope I don't scare you by agreeing with Emilyanne that 12-14 pills a day is not a mild addiction and I really believe that it would be best to taper before quitting cold turkey.
I quit a habit of 12 tramadols a day a month ago and even if it certainly hasn't been easy it is so great to have a clear head and not worry about pills all the time, so take everyones advice and make the decision to quit now.
Keep posting
Minnie
Helpful - 0
I had prescription Hydrocodone for about a year I guess ( for various legitamate pain relief). I then started to buy Codiesan online. It became more to have a good feeling and get me through my depression ( I am on antidepressants too, for the last 20 years). To start with, I would take only the maximum dose per day ( 1 or 2 every 4-6 hours). Lately , as I said, it is creeping up. I have never gone through w/d and don't know what to expect, but I do know I have a problem. I am thrilled to have found this site and I know I am going to need some support as no-one around here knows what I am doing. I am not taking tylenol with these tablets, just the codeisan. Any ideas ? Thank you for your caring (((hugs)))
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.