Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

now i'm really scared

i'm only on my first day of this journey and naively thought that when i got through the w/d i'd be home free. i've been reading through everyone's comments and people are talking about day 30 and day 50,pleeeeeeeeeeeease tell me its not gonna be this hard in two months cause that alone makes me think what is the point i might as well keep taking the damn pills. how do you stay strong for that long.  i dont think i can do this.  Any suggestions?
15 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
177036 tn?1192286635
I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEEEELLLL!!!!!!!!!

It seems soooo not fair!  The docs never told us about all of this!  Sometimes they would look at me cross but never told me what I signed up for.  Look to God for strength!  What doesn't kill us only makes us miserable? (kidding) hang in there and write a bunch to everybody here and it will happen if you're ready.
Helpful - 0
No need to be scared. It's different for everybody. It depends on what your addiction is and how long you've been doing it. Bottom line, you shouldn't be physically sick that long.....but the mental part is what lasts a long time. If you can deal with the physical withdrawl, you can get thru the mental part. It sucks, no doubt, but you can do it.
Helpful - 0
i've been taking pain meds for over 9 years.  will that make a difference in how long i go through this ****?
Helpful - 0
What kind of meds?
Helpful - 0
177003 tn?1266270355
Hello and Welcome,

Everyone kicks their addiction in different amounts of time, but no you won't be in the bad part of w/d for that amount of time. What is your addiction?? There are wonderful people here to help and support you. Probably a few are addicted to the same thing you are. Please let us know so you can be more calm about the process.
Take Care....LS
Helpful - 0
Don't be scared.  What PillsareHell said is very true.  Withdrawals are different and a lot depends on different factors.  And even though recovery is a long journey, it doesn't mean you're going to feel bad forever.  I had a huge Oxycontin habit and I've been clean for over 90 days now.  The first week was hell with physical symptoms but most of those symptoms went away and I started to feel better and better with each day.  I still have ups and downs but that's how "normal" life is.  I am so happy now that my life is not controlled by those pills.  It was totally worth going through the withdrawals.  Many people fail because they are so afraid of the withdrawals.  You will find that even though you'll be physically "uncomfortable" or maybe even "miserable" for a few days, you'll get through it and it won't be anything like you've made it out to be in your mind.  Hang in there.  And reach out when you need us.
Take care,
Yoda
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
GREAT JOB YODA!!!!!!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
Hey Fish, thanks.  How are you doing?  I haven't talked to you in a while.
Helpful - 0
Just listen to everyone in this forum. You know in your heart and soul that this is NOT going to be easy and it's not supposed to be. If it were easy how would we ever learn from our mistakes? I'm not going to lie and say that "it's easy and anyone can do it with no problem." That's just not true. You sound very worried about day 30 and day 50. You need to understand addiction. ADDICTION is not just day 30 or day 50 it's a lifetime. I'm not trying to sound mean or rotten just straight forward. It's the addiction that is mean and rotten. Just look at what it does to our lives. We find it hard to live without it but we must to live without it to live. Trust me, it's a very hard road but just remember, you don't have to go @ it alone. We Are Hear. We know what it's like. Me for example haven't taken anything in a week and a half. I crave but don't want. I've been taking pain killers for 9 years only the last 6-7 months was by far the worst. I got sick and tired of being sick and tired. I've slept only 5 hours in the past week and yet I feel Happier than I've felt in a very long time. We have all been through it and are continuing to go through with it. It's bad but the outcome is so much worth the sacrifice. trust me, you have friends here. Even if we are all strangers and never meet in person it doesn't matter because inside, we are the same. If you've made up your mind and decided not to do this or whatever you do anymore, trust me if you even think it then you probably should go with your instinct. It'll be okay. Pains, depression, sleeplesness, anything, we're are here for you. I Felt the same way. I spent the last month of my using just reading all the postings before I go the nerve to say anything. You made a big step in helping yourself by voicing your concerns. Just remember... Your far from being alone on this one.  Eric
Helpful - 0
thank you so much i'm actually feeling a little determination coming back. after all its been 24 hours now and if i give up i'll just have to go through this 24 hours again! and i really dont want to do that.  i told my boyfriend tonight and expected alot of resistance since he too is addicted to vicodin,although he says he's not, and he surprised me by not only being supportive but joining me by flushing what he had left.  i wasnt expecting that. now i have to succeed
so i can help him.  does anyone have any suggestions on how to get some sleep cause i dont see that happening and i have to try to work tomorrow.
Helpful - 0
Nyquil
Helpful - 0
thanks i'll try that
Helpful - 0
W/d is different for EVERYONE.  I believe that in my post I posted that I seemed to take a little longer than everyone else.  You are holding on to things that scare you.  Have you read the post about people that are working through their w'd's?  There was on gal on here pushed pushed pushed her way through her w/d's.  She did more than I in one day than I do in a week and I'm a go getter!!!!!!!  I hated her lol!!  Thats just how she did it.  Sometimes I don't necessarily think it depends on how long or how much but where you are now, yur health and yu body chemisty.  Some are dealing with depression which was the reason for addiction in the first place but it is hard to get that firgured out until the pills and w/d are over.  When that is all done and gone than if there is an other issue it can thatn be dealt with.  Than YOU HAVE WON and every one around you, because than youcan be the wonderful person you know you are and that God intended you to be.  Keep posting!!!  I'm on the west coast so usually up the latest but I think some beat me last night!!lol
Helpful - 0
I think you are asking more about the physical withdrawals?  I could be wrong but trust me they do not last forever.  Good days and bad days.  Just get through your first week.  The lack of sleep can be a problem because it can impair your judgment - makes you weak to the lure of the pills.  Just try to keep this in the back of your mind.  No matter how tired or sick you feel don't give in!  It WILL get better.  

I am pulling for you!

Love,

Shelby
Helpful - 0
thanks again everyone i dont know how i found this forum but it is a big help! i keep asking the same questions and nobody gets mad at me.  i feel like the only way i'm gonna get through this is to embrace it, talk about it and not try to pretend it doesn't exist.  like right now i think i would be flipping and climbing the walls if i wasnt curled up on my couch writing about how i feel. i may not be sleeping but at least i'm resting quietly and that is a start.  i onlyhope that one day i can be the one helping someone through this.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.