Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

vicodin addiction

I have been taking Vicodin as prescribed (or a little more), about 8-10 tabs of 5/500 per day, for four months now, following reconstructive surgery with complications. I admit my pain isn't as great anymore but I still want the pills. My question is just how long does one take this med before it's a serious problem resulting in difficult withdrawals, etc? I've heard of people taking it for years. What is "long-term" use, as far as lenth of time used?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i been takeing them for 5 years 5 to 8 a day and i went cold 4 days ago and it is hard but after the 1st week your body starts to feel better but you want them and brain says you need them.i would not go cold its to hard you hurt bad try takeing less ever day got to where you take a half of one and then just stop.it will  be hard and im still wanting them and when crave them i think about my kids and wife . theres alot more better peaple to help you here beside me im just saying "you are not alone here"
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
4 months is long enough to create a physical dependence. Your best bet is to get off of them before its worse. And a 8-10 a day that is a fairly large amount. Can you work with you doc to do a taper??
Helpful - 0
I am sorry to say this but it sounds like you are already addict and you will experience withdrawals.  If you can taper that is a great idea.  Cold turkey is very difficult but it can be done that way too.  That is a great idea to talk to your Doctor - hopefully he will work with you to slowly taper down the drugs.  I have read that the best taper method is 10% less of the drug every week.  So for instance if you are taking ten a day, the first week you would cut back by one.  Please do it now before it gets way out of control.  The life of an addict is terrible.  

I wish you all the best!

Shelby
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.