Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

i question a loved one

i have read this forum occationally and you all have such great knowledge. my question goes out for a loved family member. this gal is early 30's with a husband that isnt the best, drinks a bit and used to disappear for days and days to smoke crack. he is not using crack just drinking. ok back to her, she has stress and doesnt deal well. she has several health problems, and a few that either change into something else, are forgotten about when she can find something else wrong. she takes pain meds daily and muscle relaxer. she claims maybe at night time only or a few a day is all. i dont know what pain meds they are but i think she mentioned norco? her husband takes oxycontin. i questioned her need for so many pills, she takes several others (she wont give any up). i am not a dr so i cant say she does or doesnt need them. i just wonder when the rx goes from one dr, then from another. it depends on what her health problem is at the time. i said she was addicted and her reply was "what do you expect me to do im in pain all the time". my beef with her is that she doesnt do a darn thing to help herself get well. her diet plays a large part, she wont do it. she goes to urgentcare or questions going to the emergency but cant with her two little kids. does this sound like a person who might have a problem with prescription pills or am i stepping out of line? i can see a difference in when she is stressed, but claims pain, so she pops a pill then jokes now i can handle these kids. i dont know why i am asking, i doubt she would ever listen, she tells me its none of my business. i guess it might be. they drink while on these pain meds too which worry me.
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
personally, i don't think you can change anyone unless they want to change.

so, you can only set bounderies with her so YOU are not drug into the drama; as well, let her know if she ever does want help, you will be there 110% (if you are willing.)

there is alot of comfort in that knowing.  having to go thru this alone for the most part, all i can say is that if one of my friends would have come and held my hand thru this, it would have helped me so much more. :-/

so.. just let her know you're there when she's ready...

good luck,
mj
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
IF she ifs going to several docs and seems to always have a new complaint then yes she is addicted.. at least in my opinion. when multiple docs are needed to obtain these meds its usually means what she is getting from one doc is not enough to feed her habit or she has been cut off from the doc she used to go to..  she probably goes to different pharmacy's all the time too..  Its pretty classic addict behavior..
You can try to talk to her.. but she is probably in denial and won't budge yet.. just plant the seed and be there for her when she is ready.. the time will hopefully come.. you are a good friend for recognizing something is wrong..
Helpful - 0
she was a pharmacy tech for years till she had her son. she knows the dos and donts of getting caught im sure, and which meds she could ask for. thanks, she can be nice one minute then pissy the next . between her and her husband i just worry about the kids.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
and you should worry... they are not getting all the attention they deserve i am sure... keep an eye out.. you are a good friend for being concerned..
Helpful - 0
i think you have valid reason to be concerned..but..she is the one that has to see a problem..as long as she can get them..she will..but sooner or later she will run out of contacts. one thing about addicts that ppl donr realize when talking to them before they know they have aproblem or are ready to admit it..is they will get angry and defensive when approached.
if this was me ...and im not saying to do this..but find a means to cut off her supply or have it cut down. ..i surely feel for you and you seem to really care..but she wont stop because you or anyone else says so.
Helpful - 0
214607 tn?1287677559
YOu do sound like a good friend and probably have every reason to be concerned. As addicts, we figure out any way possible to make sure we can get enough of whatever it is that we are on. I remember thinking about trying to fake more pain in an old knee injury to get O'Cs perscribed to me, as I had to buy them off the street.

If she is going to multiple dr.s, then yes, a problem lies somewhere. If she was taking what she were supposed to for pain, then there should only be one dr.

She needs, help, but has to commit to getting help and most importantly has to want help. I knew for two years that I needed help, I just didn't want it. Nor did I have any support to ask for help. SO just be there for her...That is all you can do, one day she will get it.

Stress your concern though...but be supportive...

Good Luck./.

lisa
Helpful - 0
Oh my goodness I've been there with the doctor/urgent care hopping. Your friend is seriously addicted. The 'nothing else works except the pain pills' mentality is a huge clue. She must not realize what she's doing or else she would be more secretive, like not taking pills in front of you or mentioning it at all. Maybe if you show her these forum comments.
Helpful - 0
she does have some health issues. so i know she does have pain. i just find it odd that one minute she is dying , and the next ready to go shopping or on the floor playing with kids or the cat. i dont get that.  thank all of you for replying. i did talk to her about being addicted a bit ago, and she said what other choice does she have for the kind of pain she is in. i guess at this point i just have to keep my comments to myself, she knows.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.